The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    that's a shame.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 thwink

Reputations:
    paypal and bank dispute?

thegh0sts likes this.
  3. Saltsi

Saltsi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Update: Managed to fix the card at least for now. Cleaned it up and soldered the blown capacitor off and left it without it. Booted right up, played through the same scene from Wolfenstein 2 where it blew up last time, this time no boom. Will see how long it holds up.

Update: Temporary fix, no idea where to find schematics to fix it.

Update: Totally dead now.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    TheDantee and long2905 like this.
  4. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    can you replace that capacitor? and maybe look into the schematics and see if you can add more?

5. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn.... At least you attempted to fix...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any news on the Vega MXM cards? I cannot see to dig up anything new.

On a better front a friend of mine bought the AMD Radeon W7170M aka R9 M390X 4GB MXM card from Taobao through my account. We will be seeing if this card works with the Dell Alienware M17x R2 if it does its good news for Dell owners since its a Dell card it should work too bad it wont work on Clevo already confirmed by the Chinese as they tested it on a Clevo P150 variant.
    While not exactly a 1060, it has the performance of a 970M if not better in some games thanks to fine wine technologies by AMD.

The 1060 seems to have a bug in the Clevo at least on mine where if there is a lot of switching between Optimus the laptop disconnects from the adapter and runs on battery, monitored the power usage and there absolutely nothing abnormal going on the card runs at its designated 80~W TDP with CPU also going about as normal.
    It only happens in very few games though like World of Tanks or Civ V occasionally.
    If anyone with the 1060 and older 3rd/4th gen optimus experience the same issue it be good to know perhaps there way to fix it or perhaps its driver related.

7. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

8. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    hmm.....I measured my GPU screws for my 1070 and it looks like they're using M1.6 x 4mm screws with a phillips head. Since my phillips head screws are wearing I figured I would at least try the same type of screws but with a hex head instead as linked below:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-M1-6x...=UTF8&qid=1515302730&sr=1-7&keywords=m1.6x4mm

These need a 1.5mm hex wrench and those are small enough that I could just tape it to the inside of the bottom cover....if the screws fit and they do fit I don't know why they never use hex screws for this?

Falkentyne likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait a minute.
    @thegh0sts are these the exact same screws that are used in the CPU and GPU heatsink to fasten the heatsink to the GPU surface?
    or are these different screws?

Are these the same screws as shown here?
    [​IMG]

if NOT, where can i buy these exact screws?

10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    It's for the 4 screws that secure the heatsink to the gpu x bracket, not the screws that hold the MXM card in place.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk