The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm amazed that MSI's 1070 can mod like a champ while the alternatives aren't so crash hot. Just a shame that it only fits into a few laptop models.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 980M cards using the standard layout seem to be working OK given that the TDP often goes over 100W. So, what's the point of redesigning the VRM only to find out that it's not really efficient (burned GeCube cards) so you have to reduce the TDP anyway?

Regarding GeCube, it would be interesting to know why their first cards missed a few of those MOSFET's given that the PCB clearly had marks where they were supposed to go?

But, given how they're all using the same design, could it be that the design was provided early on by Nvidia or something, just never developed and tested fully since they went with the bigger format?

BTW, yes, I forgot that Aetina cards have that extra power connector and that they're not an option.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Eurocom Support
    Can you give us an ETA on when the RX 580 MXM is coming out?

Also how much would it cost?

triturbo and aaronne like this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So basically unless a change is made in the future we should stick with MSI or zotac implementations of the 1070?

Its a shame we can't put another spare GPU in the zbox, unless that's been changed? Just a shame that you end up with a paper weight that could be a secondary machine

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I'd stick with just the MSI 1070. I've TDP boosted the GPU to a stock desktop 1070 and it's still going strong.

TheReciever likes this.
  6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Hey thanks ill keep that in mind for a future upgrade

170w on yours? Like what I see, very promising. I need to look into how to mend heat pipes though, seems to be a bit of a mystery to do. At least google has let me down in that regard.

7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I have it adjustable between 151W and 170W and in Firestrike it scores better than the desktop 1070 even with the slightly slower core clock but it compensates for that with the extra SMU cluster that's absent on the desktop 1070.

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Once punctured the internal vacuum escapes, there's no mending them, only desoldering and replacing

Chinese etailers (aliexpress) have a range of sizes, whether its worth the work depends on how cheap (or expensive) you can get a new heat sink assembly.

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I have a couple on ebay on watch until I actually pull the trigger on a Ranger. 4 heat pipe CPU and 5 heat pipe GPU heatsink. If I end up going the route of 1070 later on I might need to follow previous mods examples and add a pipe for the VRMs and such...

Then I have to splice a switch to bypass PWM control on the replacement fans as well since iirc cant take advantage of faster fans natively.

Fin array will likely end up being the bottleneck by the time Im done, ill throw in the towel on that one. Lot of work to add fin density from what I see on T|I

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I went ahead and just went up to 185W TDP with 1.050v and 2050 mhz.(2089 mhz if its below 42C), with curve I think(?) set at +200 then 1.050v locked with curve flattened past 1.050v.
    But tbh firestrike scores are no better than regular +180 offset