The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. peonpeon

peonpeon Newbie

Reputations:
    eDP based LCD panel. Does that mean no go for LVDS Panels on optimus i.e. P150EM P157SM?

ssj92 likes this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    When will we see them available?

I don't see why optimus wouldn't work. Works with 1060 and MSI 1070.

sicily428 likes this.
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    An interesting update although I can't disclose further yet. I am in discussion with an embedded graphics card supplier. They sell the E9260 4GB mxm board (standard MXM 3.0A 50W) for USD 290 and also offer the possibility to engineer LVDS output into the module for an additional NRE charge. I will update once I know what this charge is and when they begin to stock the E9550 MXM cards plus the module price. (PCI versions they already have).

Would there be interest to jointly fund this NRE charge among the community to get E9260 and E9550 MXM cards that support both eDP and LVDS output at a competitive price? PM me your interest so I can get an idea of support for the initiative.

jaybee83, triturbo, Arrrrbol and 2 others like this.
  5. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    isn't that just an RX 480?

6. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    90W version of the RX 480 yes

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Would there be crossfire support?

8. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's the question! I'm awaiting to see if I can stretch other years of gaming from my m18x-r2 and in the meantime playing with new puppet monsta ^_^

Papusan likes this.
  9. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm looking to upgrade the GPU in my Alienware M17x R2 soon and I have been looking for the quickest possible single card setup (crossfire support is patchy in the games i play).

I have confirmation that the AMD 8970M (and likely the M290X since its the same card) work fine.

I have found a few AMD W7170Ms (M390X) for sale however. I'd like to see if any of you think its worth giving the W7170M/M390X a go. The cards aren't that expensive and its a fairly risk free exercise as I can always sell the card on eBay for the same price. I believe these have LVDS support so driver/BIOS/vBIOS support is the only thing which could stop it working.

Some people tried the 970M a while ago, but that had display issues with inverted colours et cetera, so I doubt any of the other nVidia cards of that era will work. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

If its unlikely to work then I will just go for the 8970M, the performance of that is more than adequate for what I need.

ole!!! likes this.
  10. Wallzii

Wallzii Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been out of the loop for quite a while and pretty forgetful of the hardware details of my machine. Are those with an older machine like mine still out of luck when it comes to upgrading their GPU? I'm pretty sure my 7970M bit the dust today, so it's either replace it or buy something better, or get a desktop.