The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I watched this Eurocom video to understand what's going on with your model:

The height of the M.2 slot is just too high compared to the GPU when held in place and so an MSI 1070 would be a bad idea considering you would have to destroy the conflicting M.2 socket and that's bad for resale value. Nor will you be able to add in a slot if you wanted to down the road. I'd rather you keep the M.2 slot. Judging from your responses you're not as savvy with electronics so the idea of desoldering the M.2 slot might not be a good idea.

The MSI 1060 is a safer bet in terms of card fit over the MSI 1070. Can't even consider the Gecube 1070s because of their power delivery flaw and with the money you would have paid for an MSI 1070 you can buy an MSI 1060 + an M.2 drive, so that's a better value proposition I think.

Here's a quick photoshop render I did of how the MSI 1060 would look in the P775DM1:

[​IMG]

I am under the assumption that the heatsink is 980DT and 980M compatible and this basic visualization leads me to believe the heatsink should fit just fine without any modification. Worst case: you may need to sand down the bend just below where the 3 power chokes are, much like the image below in the mod job I did for my 1070 upgrade.

[​IMG]

Overall I think the case for a 1060 upgrade in a P775DM1 is plausible.

Honestly I am surprised that no one else, including Eurocom, have tested to confirm this works or not. Sure you may be the first here to do so if you're daring to try and you got the cojones to spend the money on it.

EDIT: The only thing you will need to check is if the laptop will function when the 1060 is installed without drivers first. If it does then it's a success already.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Ashtrix and dzpliu like this.
  2. steberg

steberg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    dzpliu likes this.
  3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Just mod the vbios already and get desktop 1070 level performance.

Setting it to 151 - 170 will score better than the desktop 1070. Thanks to nvidia for providing the extra SM cluster.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. Z3us_PL

Z3us_PL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why we cant just flash bios using nvflash? It is permanent lock for 1060?

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Because all Pascal vbios files are digitally signed by nvidia and no one has been able to crack the certification checks within nvflash. If you try it'll fail and it won't flash.

The only way to bypass the checks is to flash to the vbios chip directly with a chip programmer. That's how most of us, like me, @Coolane, @Mr. Fox, have done it.

For you there's no point in worrying about flashing custom vbios roms because you haven't bought a 1060 to see if it works in your laptop.

So get the 1060 first and we'll go from there.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So if I bought the Clevo GTX 1060, and it wont work I cannot flash the vBIOS without a chip programmer? Sounds awfully complicated.

bennyg likes this.
  7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Theoretically it should work out of the box. You can flash unmodified vbios roms with nvflash but you may need a bit more help if no image appears.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

8. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MSI1060, MSI1070 will work on P775DM1

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The clevo 1060 has the same additional power connector as the 1070/1080

Whether it works without it? Unknown. Its not technically necessary for the lower power draw of the 1060.

Other 1060s (e.g. MSI) are MXM 3.0b and don't have it

10. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Only if you remove the M.2 slot and a capacitor. I personally think desoldering components just to get an upgrade to work is not acceptable and why I have marked the 1070 as incompatible.

ChanceJackson and Ashtrix like this.