The hopeful of keeping MXM 3.0b alive thread!

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by King of Interns, Aug 17, 2016.

1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems we number few (those of us that haven't fled to a desktop setup yet or who can't :))

This thread's purpose is to keep the hope of a new MXM 3.0b card alive. Whether it be AMD or Nvidia based it doesn't matter.

I welcome data, speculation and anything else related to the topic!

To start I post (or should say re-post) this image of MSI's 1060(M) MXM 3.0b card. We all know there are problems that exist with Pascal:

- Heat. A 1060M card is probably the only viable Pascal card for 3.0b anyway despite running efficiently
    - No LVDS support. Something that needs testing but a likely barrier to overcome
    - Supply. Where to find this card to try and establish supply if it turns out to be a suitable upgrade.

MSI 1060 MXM 3.0b card

However there are some positives if the kinks can be worked out:

-Performance- rumoured to perform very similarly to a desktop GTX 970. This is at a level 10-15% solidly above the 980M and at power consumption levels of a 970M.

-OCable? Perhaps and if it OCs well then expect it to match a desktop GTX 980 and more. The desktop version of the card already does so the potential is there.

-This community. We usually find a way if we work together towards a common goal :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    HP and DELL just refreshed their ZBook 17 (G3, different chassis than G1 and G2) and Precision (7710, different chassis than 6x00 series). They usually keep the chassis for at least two generations. I looked at the disassembly guides and there seems to be no room for odd shaped MXMs, so chances are that we'll see standard MXM-Bs for a while. Not sure if they'll support LVDS, since both machines are eDP. The downside - they'll come with Pro markup (especially the Quadros).

jaybee83 likes this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Masta of Biotech-Desasta

Reputations:
    subscribed ;)

and good find, i wasnt aware that the 1060 came in standard 3.0b form factor :) i was just focused on the MSI 1070 thus far, but that would require significant dremeling inside my machine.... :p

Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here comes an unpopular view:

I've been around long enough to know that we, as end users, have very little influence (as a minority group), no matter if every NBR member supported this... With that said, I can't support this knowing that MXM has its limitations and we'd be supporting "holding back" innovation in favor of our own selfish need to maintain upgradeability, all to save a few bucks. I hate BGA and always will, but I won't support MXM if that means sacrificing technological advancement. If there's a way to have the best of both worlds, I may support that, too.

I support the advancement of technology. Hell, at least I'm honest.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    i_pk_pjers_i and Ethrem like this.
  5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Buy every year, or twice a year, it's up to you. I don't have a cash tree, if you have a spare one, I'll give you my address to send it. As for the MXM's viability, I can write you an essay, but so what? It wont change anything. This topic is for these of us that hope that there would be one last upgrade, before we buy another machine. Afterwards? I shrug thinking about what it could be afterwards. I'll most likely keep my current machine as a not-very-efficient on the go power and build a desktop.

This topic reminds of the MXM 2.1 (II and HE) topics back when most transitioned to MXM 3.0. There was a surprising amount of options, so I'm positive that we'll get our last round of upgrade.

Dr. AMK and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  6. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1070 from msi
    [​IMG]

FluffyPuppy and Dr. AMK like this.
  7. jaybee83

Reputations:
    yep thats the one i was referring to in my previous post :)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

8. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not holding back advancement J Dre. All the mobile cards are bastardised MxM 3.0.

No what I want is choice for at least one more generation.

Keeping to the 3.0b spec simply allows many of us to upgrade to newer tech on the cheap.

The *only* limitation is power consumption. 3.0b is good for up to 150w. Nvidia could easily have kept 3.0b ref for up to 1070.

Iam all for advancement but at the moment I dont see any advantage of for example the msi 1070 bloated 3.0b shape.

Perhaps next gen will scrap mxm and go to nvlink connector. Then you can talk about being held back by mxm.

Ditching the 3.0b ref while keeping the mxm 3.0 connector and at the same time removing all support for LVDS is a move to greedily prompt many to throw their current systems to upgrade.

What a waste. Unfortunately this is the way of society today. Throw away and above all do not try to fix and prolong. The same mentally/socially could be applied to relationships between couples these days....divorce and take the easy but unrewarding way out rather than fix and work out the kinks to forge a better and stronger bond like older generations did. It is all a product of how modern western society has developed.

Consuming beyond our means in an unsustainable manner. Compare products made during the 70s and 80s and compare with products made now the difference in *quality* is as vast as the mental and social differences between the generations.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    *200W

I'm pretty sure we've had MXM pull well over 150W in the past, especially since Khenglish over on T|I took a GTX 980 desktop card core and put it on a 980M card (which means no power connector) and managed to overclock it and have it benchable.

10. jaybee83

Reputations:
    yep, id also say 200W. ive had my 980M up to 180W and it only gave out because of its sissy mosfets/power delivery on the board, not the mxm connector itself...
    would be nice to have "one last upgrade" to go to. maybe an 1160 might do the trick with sufficient performance boost? :) although 1060 is a good candidate form factor wise the performance boost over 980M is meh...not worth the hassle

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

Solo wing, D2 Ultima and i_pk_pjers_i like this.