1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

The "Home" button on Vostro/Inspirons. What's it do?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Triple_Dude, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Notebook Evangelist

If you own a Vostro or Inspiron (this button may be on other models as well, I don't know), you'll know what I'm talking about.

Beside the power button, there's a button with a house on it. What's it do exactly? I've tried pressing it and nothing has occured. I thought it was a media key to navigate to the Home page, but that doesn't happen when I press it.

Is there any way to configure what that key does, or is it a Dell specific button that cannot be mapped?

2. sleey0

sleey0 R.I.P. AW Side Topics

3. ~}Zaif{~

~}Zaif{~ Notebook Enthusiast

ya....its for dell media direct and u can boot into it when u press the key with windows shutted down....it can also be used while running windows ...and it is a dell pre mapped button and i think it can't be re mapped.

You will get something like this on your inspiron or vostro when u press it...
    [​IMG]

4. Tex1ntux

Tex1ntux Notebook Consultant

You can remap it in Windows using AutohotKey.

5. Triple_Dude

Hehe, thanks. But I had no idea it was even called MediaDirect... How would I search for it? By typing in "The home button on dell" :p?
    And how do I exactly do that? I don't even know the button id of the "MediaDirect" button.

6. sleey0

sleey0 R.I.P. AW Side Topics

Well, you could read your manual:) You could also press it and find out what happens (I seriously doubt Dell is going to put a self-destruct button on a laptop so you don't need to worry too much)....

7. Triple_Dude

I did press it, and nothing occured ;). That's why I asked... haha.
    In my initial post:
    ANYways... I've remapped it to the Scroll Lock key (since I have to press Fn + Num Lock otherwise to get to it).

If anyone wants to know the SC code for it, it's 112 :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.