The Happy Thread :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Happy Swede, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Joe Rogan is leaving California...woo hoo.

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    So California gave Joe Rogan the opportunity to establish his business and scored a $100 million deal with Spotify. Now after the fact, he wants to take his winnings and move to Texas. This is fair enough. But Joe now bad mouths the place that gave him this great opportunity in the first place. That is being an ingrate. It would have been much more difficult for him to move to Texas first and then work his way toward $100 million. And he's being disingenuous by not mentioning (at least in part) it's for tax reasons.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. Kyle

Reputations:
    Why?

True. However, I'm not sure he would not have moved had it not been for the deal. He may have delayed the move, but it appears he would have moved.

He has been making $$$ for some time now, and paying his taxes, so I think he is more than done with his obligation to CA.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Why? Because greater opportunities and contacts are here in Cali. Los Angeles is dubbed the entertainment capital of the world for a reason. Opportunity is why people tolerate all the things he says what's wrong with Los Angeles. Yeah, you put up with traffic, taxes, and the high price of housing, etc. But in return to get a larger pie that more than offsets the larger slice you have to give up than other places.

6. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't necessarily disagree here. I will say that Rogan makes his living in part by bad mouthing this or that, so I take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. It does raise an eyebrow that he's so anti-Cali. His (and my) home state of Mass is essentially the Cali of the East in respect to politics. Really makes me wonder what you people are doing out there these days. :vbbiggrin:

Kyle and Fishon like this.
  7. Kyle

Reputations:
    I'm interpreting your viewpoint as: LA is ****ty but put up with it because you get contacts here.
    By staying there, you also in sense force the next generation to also come there and tolerate the madness because you are in LA.
    I therefore am happy with Rogan's move, not because he will save on taxes, but because he and people like him will help contribute to a non west coast/east coast center.
    I am not in favor of monopolies.
    Small time folk can't do what Rogan is doing because they don't have the clout.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Incorrectly, as usual. :D Any large city has its downsides and if they're not for you I can certainly understand. But if you want to maximize your career potential, it's hard to beat the various centers of business, and LA is ground zero for many. Of course contacts are people, and nowhere have I found more intelligent, experienced, and willing go-getters. Coming from San Diego and moving my way to OC, then West LA, the difference even within these metropolis areas is very noticeable. And outside of work and career, Los Angeles is alive and always interesting. Something going on 24/7. Where I currently live, everything is homogeneous and closes by 9. But nowhere than LA could I have a meeting with a regional investment banking manager by morning, watch a soccer game at a Mexican restaurant having a few beers with a couple of 18th Street gang members, then have a date with my hottie gf from Thailand that goes to UCLA by night. Museums, concerts, stores, restaurants, bars, universities, the beach, the women, multicultural areas and the people, money and opportunity; it's all there and never a dull moment. As I've stated before, we are looking to move in the not too distant future. Plenty of affordable and beautiful areas to choose from. Downside? Few amenities, often poorer weather, overly dull, and boring places to live. There's always a trade off no matter where you land.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. Kyle

Reputations:
    The Joe Rogan experience :D

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    And you think the metro areas of Texas are cheap? High property taxes. Weather is crap as well. lol

Kyle likes this.