The Happy Thread :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Happy Swede, Jun 16, 2011.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's too much math in one bite - 3/5 of your time, and Methodology will likely have some percentage of graphs and maths with the total nearing 3/4 of your time..

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    That's pretty standard for first year engineering student.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The worst part is looking at the curriculum (Stanford / State U), is it barely gives time to absorb any depth on any topic.

That's too much to absorb, let alone understand to the point of mastery. Terrible mix for first semester / quarter as a Freshman.

I'd drop it down to 1 math, 1 history, 1 CS and take some elective(s): mechanical engineering or additional programming language class, or Bio / Physics / Chem, and spread the math out a bit.

No wonder people are failing out. Start slow, and ramp up the load once you are comfortable in the new environment and living conditions. Go year round, summers too, to give yourself more time to make the transition and spread out the load.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I agree with spreading it out, but not necessarily to start light with the class load. If you do that, you'll have some semesters down the road where you aren't spreading it out, and the workload is too intense. I always tried to mix a few harder classes with the lesser ones. Never took classes in summer, but always liked one of those three hour evening classes that meets just once a week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Quarters or semesters?
    My first quarter at university doesn't start until Sept 27. I'm only taking 3 course this first quarter to limit the brain damage I receive.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Just don't try out for the football team and you should be alright. :D

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Agreed. Even for computer science you'll have at least 5 lower division math courses to take before getting into the good stuff.
    You had to go there, didn't you?

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  8. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just me on a Friday evening, having fun :)

[​IMG]

Convel, killkenny1 and Fishon like this.
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Haha Reminds me when I was living at the beach and a neighbor from over the fence gave me some grief about my music. Now mind you this is a beach where everything is pretty noisy, and I'm very polite and mindful of others. But I have the right to play some music at a decent sound level for at least a short amount of time- never for long periods. Needless to say he had no idea of the exact capabilities my stereo system had, until he heard this at maximum volume. Never heard from him again. :bigwink:

Georgel likes this.
  10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Survival of the fittest :D.
    You have to go through the **** to finally get to the good stuff. And if you have will to do this, you know you are serious about the study choice you made.
    And once you survive the first few semesters its pretty much straight sailing from there on.
    Besides, some of the early subjects are not that bad. Personally I enjoyed linear algebra and classical thermodynamics, had a lot of fun studying them and solving exercises.

Man, I remember the first time I heard Master Of Puppets... It was pure magic!
    It's one of the albums I would love to erase from my memory and experience listening for the first time again...