The Happy Thread :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Happy Swede, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Happy this is starting to come out. From a staunch conservative and Fox News commentator.

2. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is there to be happy about? Let me know. I'm pretty sure everyone who voted for him knew who they were getting. I'm also sure it really doesn't change anything for those who didn't. The days of the nation voting honesty, integrity, and character are over, at least until you can run and win before having had to sell out.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Was there a time when voting for "honesty, integrity, and character" really a thing? Maaaaaaaaybe character (JFK was a smooth fellow, for example), but the first two certainly don't fit the bill for a politician...

4. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Whether or the extent to which it could be had is a different question than whether people actually tried to vote along those lines. I know it was a big deal to both sets of my grandparents, for example. Now, try to get a Dem or Lib to vote the other way based on a character assessment. Not happening.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    There was a time not too long in the past where I agree, the Right cared more about the character of the candidate than the Left. Obviously, that ship has sailed. I do recall defending/justifying Bill Clinton when my friends on the Right took exception to his character. Something like 'look at what they stand for and accomplish in regards to what you believe in, and to a degree, look the other way about their personal character. In the past, we didn't put them under a microscope like we do now and plenty of good politicians had behavioral flaws that never got reported.' It's a real tough choice I think a lot of us (hopefully) struggle with. At want point do you say I just can't vote of the guy no matter how aligned his politics are to your own. Gabe, I know you made your decision in 2016 and trust me, I struggled with mine, voting for Hillary.

I think it does matter when respected people within the party of the Left or Right, start to criticize their own. It makes it more acceptable and easier for others to do the same. My realization about Hillary occurred having conversations with my friends on the Left. This needs to start happening here as well.

______

Smoked a La Flor Dominicana ligero in torpedo last night. Old school 'flower band' that was a decade old. Sublime.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiVe1AGnigH/

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  6. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Yes. I actually intended to write dem or rep, rather than "dem or lib".

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    But as a liberal, I'd say you were correct in the fact the Right cared (past tense for sure:D) about character in a candidate more than the Left. Often turns out to be just a phony facade, but nevertheless. And this is what I was speaking to. Just what the heck happened? Attitude and bravado now trumps character is the answer to my own question.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Eh, I wouldn't even go so far as to say that the Republicans genuinely cared about character during the Clinton administration and around that that time. Instead, they just put on the "I care about character" mask since it was what was selling them to their voters.

Likewise for the Democrats and the present; it's an awfully convenient way of scoring political points when the character high ground is in their favor.

Watch it swing right back around to the Democrats dropping the act and the Republicans picking it right back up in the next few POTUS election cycles :)

9. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Winning at politics became more important than principles.

10. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Georgel likes this.