The Happy Thread :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Happy Swede, Jun 16, 2011.

1. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Nice!

I just started at a major network services provider. Fiber engineer.

Nick likes this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    So they are boring :D

Though nice to see peeps around here good job offers and living the life!

3. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    My first ever DVD/BD authoring job is on sale in Australia :D

Fishon and killkenny1 like this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Such a missed opportunity for advertisement in your post. You could have at least posted a link :D.

Congrats tho, on your first job! :vbthumbsup:

5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    I dunno if they're selling it internationally although I do know we authored the DVD for international audiences.

The release is for an Australian singer by the name of Jessica Mauboy of one of her big Australian tour. She's quite well known in Australia but I am not sure how big she is in international markets though. I did get to meet the lady herself once when she was visiting the Sony Music offices (my work in in the same building) so I got to have a nice short chit chat to her :D

I had to watch this so many times (well, I actually skimmed through it) to make sure it was working as expected and that there's nothing broken before we send it off to the replication plant.

Even took a photo of it on my instagram LOL (so sad).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ7oicxgckA/

Links are from an Australian store (JB is like the Australian version of Best Buy for everyone else).
    BD - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/sony/jessica-mauboy-all-the-hits-live-blu-ray/503551/
    DVD - https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/sony/jessica-mauboy-all-the-hits-live/503550/

My main job is to manage websites for Sony Music and she just happens to be in that catalog of artists.

Anyway, I also authored stuff like b-grade movies, TV shows, kids programming, stand up comedian shows and so forth. I'm working on the Australian release of Law & Order: SVU Season 18 :D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Congrats! That's awesome! How did you get into that? That's something I'd like to do when I grow up. :)

7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    DVD/BD authoring? I work for an agency that offers it as a service. We pretty much do the whole 9 yards when it comes to DVDs/BDs: sleeve and disc art design, video encoding, menu design, and of course authoring. They let me learn bits of the biz because I find it interesting....even though I still have to do the job I was hired to do and it isn't DVD/BD authoring.

BD authoring is more difficult that DVD cos it uses javascript and there's a lot of button states to keep in mind...plus the software we use it like SUPER expensive: you're looking in the $10,000+ USD range. Even the DVD software is expensive.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For all of us... please enable the PC mouse for menu navigation, instead of that awful popup that we need to use for navigation in BD's that don't support PC mouse navigation.

Why is it so difficult? I see it properly implemented in random BD's, but so many top films make us use the arrows / Enter for navigation instead of activating the PC mouse.

What is up with that? :)

9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    most of the time you're using a remote to navigate menus anyway.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not me, I use a PC most of the time to watch BD's, plenty of close up screen real estate, no need for a tiny 70" 15-20 feet away ;)

Even when I use a 13' screen, it's driven by a PC...

Is it a big pain to include support for PC mouse navigation in a BD?