The Happy Thread :D

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Happy Swede, Jun 16, 2011.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Flying to Czech Republic tomorrow!

Fishon likes this.
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    My Babymetal tribute video exceeded 50,000 views in two weeks! :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  3. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I ruined someone's day, year, and life...all in one "the truth hurts" moment. Dummkopf had no idea that gelatin is made from animal fat. That'll teach a vegan to prance about telling us his dietary beliefs still allow him to enjoy gummy bears.

Gursimran82956, Nick, Fishon and 4 others like this.
  4. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    To be fair, a lot of gelatin is synthetic these days, but still that's a hell of a funny thing to do :).

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here's a few more for fun :)

28 foods and ingredients to avoid on a vegan diet
    http://www.veganfoodandliving.com/food-ingredients-avoid-vegan-diet/

"#9 Gelatine: This thickening agent comes from the skin, bones and connective tissues of cows and pigs."

"#10 Isinglass: This gelatine-like substance is derived from fish bladders. It’s often used in the making of beer or wine.

"#17 Beer and wine: Some manufacturers use egg white albumen, gelatine or casein in the beer brewing or winemaking process. Others sometimes use isinglass, a substance collected from fish bladders, to clarify their final product.

"#18 Sweets and candy: Many varieties of jelly, marshmallows, gummy bears and chewing gum contain gelatine. Others are coated in shellac or contain a red dye called carmine, which is made from cochineal insects.

HTWingNut and Jarhead like this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Running around the stage- no singing, playing of musical instruments, or composition. Awesome. Your deluged of offerings of BM have me almost convinced. Just waiting for the one that will turn it for me.:D

Remind Dummkopf that organic doesn't mean without pesticides, and often in higher doses since they aren't as effective. Oh, and washing off with water 83 percent were found to contain plastic particles.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I'm not trying to turn anyone. It's a tribute for the fans that appreciate them. Besides, including any more than a few seconds of their music on YouTube gets it instablocked.

Visit here, watch at least the first 15 minutes.

http://dai.ly/x49sqy2

If you can't appreciate good music, a good performance, singing voice, and stage presence, that's fine, it's not for you, then. Not to mention understanding their history and how they got to where they are today.

A big part of the draw too is the fan base. They are some of the nicest, most genuine people I've met, not to mention like minded that I feel comfortable speaking with from the get go.

Jonathan Davis says it best:

"I dig BABYMETAL. It's just wrong on every level. It's just entertaining as hell. The whole Asian pop mixed with metal and the dance they do, it's just… I mean, how can you not be entertained watching that? It's the whole vibe, just the whole thing — it's not necessarily the music or the girls themselves or what you're looking at. It's the whole package, it's the whole thing."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ko...l-calls-japanese-bands-critics-closed-minded/

(First 1.5 minutes)

Besides, they're fun to meme the hell out of. Which is what I usually do :D Like this below:

ORIGINAL video from them:

My Response:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    That's your opinion and others, but there are other opinions as well (you need to replace the word 'good' with 'their'- you're being far too assumptive). Post 'em all you want and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I wish to voice my opinion as well. A summation of what we've gone through before. I and many others put a lot of weight on originality and they score well in this area. Merging heavy metal and J-pop is unique and from what I understand they are the trailblazers and most successful in this unique niche. They choreograph well and have a strong stage presence for sure- their strengths are more in the category of performance art than music. As far as singing, I'd rate as decent, not great, as it is J-pop in style after all, and haven't noticed anything that shows great diversity or range. They are not the creative force behind the songs and music, but a business executive who goes by the name of Kobametal. While both the Monkees and Pink Floyd started out as a corporate contrived band, they moved quickly away from this and until they do, there is nothing spontaneous or natural about them, losing high marks in this area because of it. The girls aren't creating anything here, they are told what to do. The band behind them seem to be well received and for good reason, but they are not part of the group, but are borrowed musicians. The girls play no musical instruments on stage.

I understand what's fun is fun and I too have guilty indulgences in music. But having some corporate dude pulling all the strings in the background while the girls strut around in some choreographed fashion- this is far removed from being a true artist in the traditional sense. This sort of stuff is often very offensive and insulting to other artists who yearn to be artistically free, to create and perform what they wish. Read the early story of the Monkees as they started to get really upset and defiant in there unwillingness to have others create their own songs and play their own music. Show me their artistry.

I hope anyone who reads this respects my reasoning (or at least laying it out there) as opposed to just saying they suck. Other than this, they're cool. After all, I sometimes listen to Yoko Ono. ;)

Edit: Nothing to do with their general appeal within the entire music market, but at our age can you name any other musicians you find talented and enjoyable as early teens? I can think of Micheal Jackson and Steve Wonder in their early years, and maybe I'm missing someone. Young, pubescent, cutesy, dressed like school girls; it's just not really rewarding or appealing to me for what it's worth.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I'm sorry if you thought it was insulting for calling it a good performance and good music. I don't know what else to call it? Weird? Different? I dunno, you fill in the proper adjective. IN MY OPINION (am I allowed that courtesy or no?) The stage presence is great. Their live performances are unbelievably fun.

But what I see from you is a lot of "what can we Google quickly" regurgitation. Most of which is not true or paints a broad brush that really doesn't come close to the truth of the band.

You say what they do may be offensive to some... ANY of the major rock and metal bands that have met them and/or performed with them have loved them. Nothing bad to say about them, including Jonathan Davis from Korn in that interview above, Corey Taylor from Slipknot, Rob Zombie, Rob Halford, Stone Sour, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers... Hell they even toured with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns n Roses, Metallica, and Korn just this year, not to mention performing with Rob Halford. I can't say they are offended. Please show me a band that is offended by them before making that statement.

I can say a lot of what people do is not "real talent"... bowling, esports, fishing, golf, race car driving... but they have a huge following and respect from their fans. Who am I to judge?

I don't expect anyone or everyone to like it or care. I get it. And nothing to do with them being "young, pubsecent, cutesy, dressed like school girls" either (I've never seen girls dressed in goth lolita battle tutus to school, but I digress). Although that is "part of the whole package" as was already stated. I'd be lying if I didn't think that wasn't what drew me in, but from the weird and contrasting aspect of it all.

I like them because they are different. They don't follow the typical mold of a "garage band" or even a "manufactured band". They weren't thrown together by some corporate goons in an office either.

I don't care if they don't follow the mold of other bands, that's what I like about them. Just because other artists aren't as young as they are, who cares? Do they have to wait until they're 25 before they can start a career? Would it make it better if they came on stage with a guitar, just like every other band out there? If their names were in the song writing credits (even though they have penned one completely themselves so far)?

Key Kobayashi (Kobametal) isn't even a corporate guy. He's a metal head. He's a musician. He's "anti-J-pop" and "Anti-idol". He worked with Suzuka since she was at most eight years old, took her under his arm, helping her achieve her lifelong goal of being a singer / songwriter / musician. And in the process formed Babymetal that was just supposed to be a stepping stone, not even become a real long term band. But it took off and they turned it into a growing success. You couldn't throw any three girls together and get the same result either.

That's not even going into her career with Karen Girl's, ASH, and Sakura Gakuin.

But I could go on and on and on on the history. I find it fascinating. Unfortunately there's no comprehensive historical documentary about them yet, so most of it has to be assembled personally bit by bit, and most of us that have become fans have fallen down that rabbit hole.

Bottom line, they are fun, different, weird, very high work ethic, very high energy, and put on one hell of a show, regardless of what their history or "true talent" is. They can easily be enjoyed at face value too, let your manly insecurities go, and if you can open your mind a bit and not worry what other people think about their age and "cuteness". They are "BABYMETAL" after all, and cute is their game.

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Attempting to find some common ground, they do have a lot of energy as you say, and that can be infectious. I also like the fact you find their look weird and contrasting and you're attached by this. Different is good and I'm attracted to odd as well: David Bowie, Elvis Costello, David Byrne to name a few. You obviously like them very much and it's not right to say one man's enjoyment is better than another. I presented my reasoning why I don't think too much of them, and you've given your reasons why you do. Just know so many of us that listen to rock and roll and heavy metal are repelled by this sort of thing. Cute and formulated is not something that mixes well with the music we're accustomed to listening to. Same reason Anime is repelling to me as well.They've opened up a whole new group of listeners to heavy metal, so it's my thinking there wouldn't be too much criticism. Rarely do fellow musicians criticized others. But you may want to ask what Keith Richards has so say about them. Reminds me a bit of the B-52's. Thought they were far too syrupy and found a few of their songs catchy, but when I got a free ticket to their show it certainly changed my mind. Anyway...enjoy what you enjoy.

[​IMG]

HTWingNut likes this.