The Hannspree HannsBook SN12E2 Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Thor316c, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor316c

Thor316c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello NBR forums,

I picked up the HannsBook SN12E2 this last summer, and it has been a really nice piece of machinery for what I paid for ($400). Coming for a atom powered netbook, you really appreaciate the little things loading quick such as flash, and being able to multi-task as well as play HD video. Comes with an awesome neoprene case too! (Stretches to fit all of my accressories, mouse AC adapter etc.)

Incase you are not familiar with the specs, here they are:

• Brand: Hannspree

• Model: SN12E23BUP212

• Colors: Pearl Black, Red

• OS Provided: Windows 7 Home Premium

• CPU: Intel Dual-Core SU4100(1.30GHz), 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache ULV

• Chipset: GS45

• Display: 12.1", 1366 x 768, LED HD Widescreen

• Graphics: Intel GMA 4500MHD with HDMI out.

• RAM: DDR2-800, 1 slot, 2GB installed.

• HDD: 320GB SATA 2.5"

• Dimmensions: 11.70" x 8.50" x 1.25"

• Weight: 3.40 lbs

• Camera: 1.3 Megapixel

• LAN/WLAN: Gigabit Lan and N-draft Wireless.

• USB Ports: 3 Total

• Video Ports: 1x VGA, 1x HDMI

• Audio Ports: 1x Microphone, 1x Headphone

• Audio: 2 Speakers Built in

• Card Reader: 3in1 SD/MMC/MS

• Battery: 6 Cell Battery 5200mAh advertised at 6 hrs, lasts about 4 for me.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 runs like a dream on this machine. I'm even able to play some games at very low settings such as team fortress 2 and battlefield heroes.

I did notice that there was a freezing issue while playing these games when I first got it, but updating the bios (provided on the hannspree website) seemed to have fixed it.

Ubuntu in my opinion really makes this laptop shine, almost instant boot times, nice resolution, and fully capable of running all the gui enhancements that it offers.

There is one thing I do wish for, maybe an aftermarket battery, like a 9 cell would be nice.

Any questions, comments, regarding this laptop should be posted here.

Manufacturer's Page (Drivers/Manuals/Info etc): http://www.hannspree.com/US/product_detail.aspx?id=54205&c=54091

Reviews:
    http://www.digitalversus.com/hannspree-hannsbook-sn12e2-p479_8451_431.html
    http://www.retrevo.com/s/HANNSPree-SN12E2-Laptops-review-manual/id/23714ag319/t/1-2/
    NBR User Review, VERY well written!

Retailers:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834237003
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6243829&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCmtB55bETCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=19-49570155-2
    Tips and Tricks From the Thread:

Bluetooth Install Guide on Page 2 by Hanspree: LINK

2. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I love that little subnotebook. Good price, great performance, and it's awesome it just got it's own forum!

3. Thor316c

Reputations:
    100% Agreed! :D

4. hannspree

hannspree Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got this notebook today. Cheapest SU4100 notebook I could find.
    It's a bit big for my tastes -- I wanted the Acer 1830T or the new Macbook AIR -- but for $400, I'm not complaining. :)

A really major letdown is the 'Warranty Void' stickers covering the hard drive and memory panels. What was Hannspree thinking?!

I have to upgrade the HD to an SSD and the 2GB ram to 4GB, so there goes my warranty. Pretty upset about that.

After that, I have to find out whether it will be possible to overclock this laptop using setFSB or some kind of hardware mod. Have to find out what kind of motherboard and chips are inside there.

I'm also going to install a crystal hd card and see if that makes any difference in playback of HD content.

Overall, it's a good buy.

By the way, mine came with DDR3 memory. Are there different versions of this laptop floating around?

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Chrystal HD is useless on this laptop. The laptop has a GMA 4500MHD, which easily handles 40mbps+ 1080p content smoothly. (VC-1, H264/AVC)

The GS45 chipset can use either DDR2 or DDR3, though that choice is upto the vendor, not to the end user (don't try DDR2 sticks in a DDR3, at any rate).

There should be a way, similar to the older m11xR1 (SU4100/SU7300) that can flip the FSB bus to 1066, up from the default 800, for a 1.73 GHZ clock...

Welcome to NBR :)

6. hannspree

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response and warm welcome, Jeremy. You just saved me $50 towards the purchase of a Crystal HD decoder card.

I'm really liking this laptop. I decided to throw caution into the wind and opened the casing. This looks like what the Acer 1410s should have been.

There is a fully functional SIM card holder ready for use. The miniPCIE slots are both functional as well. The bluetooth module is connected and I replaced the 320GIG scorpio blue drive with my Vertex2 SSD.

Now I have to add a 4-port usb hub inside and I should be good. There is plenty of space to stick in an accelerometer or a fingerprint reader or even a tiny tv-tuner usb stick on the side which makes me wonder if hannspree could have shrunk this thing down to a 10" footprint.

Oh darn. I just remembered what I forgot to do. I forgot to jot down the PLL part for this thing. I'm still hoping it will be possible to overclock this to 1.7-1.9ghz.

ETA: Forgot to mention. The touchpad is terrible. Not as responsive as the synaptics one.

lucs likes this.
  7. Microbob

Microbob Newbie

Reputations:
    Hannspree, how exactly do you take it apart? Can you post some photos as well as a brief tutorial? And please post the clock generator info when you do find out what it is. Thank you.

8. hannspree

Reputations:
    I have a few assignments this week so I won't have much time open the notebook and tinker until the weekend.

With that said, taking it apart is actually extremely similar to the ACER notebooks.

First you remove the screws on the bottom. Then you flip it over, and remove the keyboard using a plastic pic to press in the tabs at the top of the keyboard while pulling the keyboard up. Then you disconnect the small wires and lift off the keyboard. Remove the screws underneath, and then you gently pry the sides apart. (I broke a small tab because I forced it open, but if you use a plastic pick at the front left and right edges to separate the cover, it should be fine.) I didn't take apart the LCD because it required removal of those plastic and rubber tabs and I don't want to scratch up the notebook trying to do that.

I'll update this post next weekend.

9. turned2black

turned2black Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting an SN12E2 from Costco. Costco's website has the screen listed as a 12.1” LED HD Widescreen (16:9 Diagonal) Color Active Matrix TFT (Anti-Glare) screen. Some of the stuff around the internet shows the screen as being glossy, but they also have it listed as the SN12. Does that mean the SN12E2 has a matte screen?

10. Thor316c

Reputations:
    Mine has a glossy screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.