The Gigabyte Aero 15x (2018) Improvement Guide

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Rage Set, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Rage Set

Rage Set A Fusioner of Technologies

Reputations:
    Let me start by stating this is not a complete tutorial on the disassembly of the Gigabyte Aero 15x. There may be guides on the disassembly of the Aero 15x online that you can find. I cannot be held responsible if you attempt anything I have done in this guide and break your computer. Do so at your own risk.

Introduction

I am Rage Set. Some of you may know me and my past overclocking endeavors with the Clevo P870DM-G, P870DM3, P775DM2 and MSI 16L13 aka Tornado F5. Now I have moved onto a BGA laptop I will be using for work, with some play in my spare time (Please note, I will be getting another Clevo when the next gen GPU’s are available).

I will be adding more benchmarks and stress tests over time to this thread. If you have a particular benchmark you want me to do, please ask and I might be able to add it.

Why the Gigabyte Aero 15x?

The Gigabyte Aero 15x has a lot to offer to professionals like myself. It has a good amount of compute power tucked into a small, lightweight chassis. My previous workstation laptop (Tornado F5) was great but it had poor battery life. The Gigabyte Aero 15x promises a battery life of 6 to 8 hours depending on the workloads and that fits within my work schedule/stacks.

Thermal Throttling

The goal of this guide is to improve the thermals. Out of the box thermals are poor. The Intel i7 8750H CPU can easily hit 91C, throttling downwards to 3.2 to 3.4GHz on all cores with sustained loads. I do not expect the cooling solution inside of the Aero 15x to compete with the likes of Clevo’s or MSI’s DTR cooling solutions, however, I do seek to fully maximize the utilization of the cooler’s thermal capacity.

I may be changing out the thermal paste twice (three times if I count replacing the stock TIM to GC Extreme). I am starting with IC Diamond TIM and if that does not offer a sufficient decrease in thermals, I will go the extreme route with liquid metal.

Please note, for whatever reason, Gigabyte does not use thermal pads on the GPU’s VRAM (at least not on my Aero 15x). If you look at the photo below, you will see they use some kind of thermal grease.

In addition to changing out the TIM and adding thermal pads, I've installed two 16GB sticks of DDR4 RAM and the Intel Wireless 9260 card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I replaced the stock VRAM grease with 0.5mm thermal pads.

Results

I used Firestrike as my benchmark and the results from those benchmarks are provided below.

Stock TIM – Max Fans – CPU -100mV undervolt – GPU Core +100/Memory +200: EDIT: For the Stock TIM benchmark, I had installed the latest Nvidia drivers for the benchmark but the other benchmark results below have the latest Gigabyte Nvidia display drivers installed.

[​IMG]

GC Extreme TIM – Normal Fans – CPU -100mV undervolt – GPU Stock

[​IMG]

IC Diamond TIM – Normal Fans – CPU -100mV undervolt – GPU Stock

[​IMG]

IC Diamond TIM – Max Fans – CPU -100mV undervolt – GPU Stock

[​IMG]

Update: Firestrike 13,910 - GPU: +100 core/+200 memory

Update: Firestrike 14,410 - GPU: +150 core/+250 memory

Update: Firestrike 14,644

CBR15: CPU: 1163cb - Single Core: 169cb

[​IMG]

If you look at the results, you will find the stock TIM and IC Diamond TIM results are nearly identical. It appears there was no change. That is until you realize that the stock TIM benchmark result includes a +100 core/+200 memory overclock to the GPU and the IC Diamond TIM result was stock.

With the stock TIM and normal fans, the cooler fans were audible at idle. The CPU temp at idle fluctuated between 49 to 53C, ambient temps being 28C. Having IC Diamond applied, the CPU temp idles at 34 to 38C and the fans are completely quiet, even with the ambient temps being at 30C.

At load, the max temps are nearly the same. Stock TIM, the CPU easily hits 91C and throttles. IC Diamond, the CPU hits 88C but does not throttle, keeping itself at 3.9Ghz.

Over the up and coming weeks, I will add new benchmarks and stress tests to this thread.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Mr. Fox, MrChow, MiSJAH and 4 others like this.
  2. ABDUL JABER

ABDUL JABER Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey I wanted to replace the tharmal past on my unit too but had a little hesitation on how to disconnect the batteries it felt like it was glued to the case any suggestions ???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Rage Set

Reputations:
    You don't need to disconnect the battery to remove the heatsink on this laptop. The heatsink is held in place by 11 screws, three holding the fans in place and eight holding the heatsink plate to the CPU/GPU. When I removed the heatsink, I didn't even disconnect the pigtails from the fans. Make sure your computer is turned completely off.

4. ABDUL JABER

ABDUL JABER Newbie

Reputations:
    I had one last thing to ask what do you make of Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad-Alternative To
    Thermal Paste ???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Rage Set

Reputations:
    I have heard/read about the product, but I have no hands-on experience with it. Based off my experience with good traditional thermal pastes, I don't know why the Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad exists. A good thermal paste can last for years and are easily applied. I need to see more data on how long it can last before I make a final decision on it but the initial reports I've seen are not totally positive.

6. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to hearing what you can do with this machine.

I've got conductonaut/fujipoly from HID and a 0.160 undervolt but I'm still easily hitting 90C+ in destiny 2 and overwatch. Using a cooling pad as well, but thats more for the clearance and less about the fans.

Rage Set likes this.
  7. Playtoreview

Playtoreview Newbie

Reputations:
    I have Conductonaut (self applied) and pads on the vrm. Try downloading Aida 64 and running the system stability test with only the Stress CPU box ticked.

Ambient temp for me is ~26 Celcius.

On the normal fan curve I get 68-72 Celsius for the temp with no throttling the CPU pegged at ~3.9ghz.

If I then click the stress GPU box (loading both the CPU and GPU) then the temps move into the mid to high 80's with the fans ramping up materially but the clocks still pegged at 3.5-3.9ghz (i.e. very limited throttling).

If you have Far Cry 5 when I run the built in benchmark the GPU is 70-80 Celcius and the GPU sits in the low 80's.

8. Rage Set

Reputations:
    Thanks. I will be pushing this machine as far as I can, as I have with other laptops I had in the past. I have yet to deploy any of my external cooling tools. I want to see how far I can push this machine with its own heatsink. I really like my results with the IC Diamond, but I may apply LM soon. More benchmarks are incoming.

DreDre likes this.
  9. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On the CPU only benchmark I got identical results. My temps leveled out pretty quickly so I only ran it for 5min. For the CPU/GPU test the temps just kept climbing. By 10min my CPU was pegged at 90C with near constant throttling. Aida was showing 27% throttling at the highest, but typically it was 10-15%.

10. AlmostJamous

AlmostJamous Newbie

Reputations:
    What are your guys views on applying LM on a laptop that is going to be doing a lot of travelling? Is careful application enough to avoid the dangers of shorting? I'm looking to do a repaste (my first ever) so would you recommend starting off with non conductive like IC Diamond before diving into LM or is it mostly scaremongering hype? I'm hitting 90-92 on CPU playing Fallout 4 with intermittent throttling. Just using Intels XTU to undervolt the CPU by .100v, I'm very new to this so if anyone has any recommendations on better tuning software please let me know!