The Fix is In

Discussion in 'Everything Political' started by darklich, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weet

Weet Guest

Reputations:
    Palin truly scares me and not because I disagree with her positions. I can accept that in a candidate. Anyone who could be president who doesn't know what Hamas is or where the west bank is located doesn't deserve to be considered for anything. Yet, most republicans can't see themselves making the same mistake they made with Bush. He was such a nice guy! You could have a beer with him! .....

As for Ron Paul moderating the debates - I'm a fan of Ron Paul so I may be biased but that would be a friggin' great idea! Ron Paul has stated many times that he sees no difference between the two major parties so who better to moderate a debate? He certainly doesn't qualify as a Republican (at least by todays standards).

And of course UFC style debates would be a win win :D

2. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    By McCain's party, I meant McCain + Palin. His party. His group of people.

Ron Paul is really a libertarian anyways, so I'm sure he doesn't care if a republican is in office or not.

3. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Funny how nobody spoke on Tom Brokaw.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Everything in Moderation

Reputations:
    Bad idea, for reasons you just stated.

Since Paul sees no difference between the candidates, he can't help but see the whole debate, or even the whole election, as a farce. This would only serve to trivialize the whole event.

And on top of that, in recent interviews Ron Paul still considers himself to be the only person with correct political views on the economy and foreign policy. His arrogance is more than a bit grating.

5. Weet

Weet Guest

Reputations:
    A most fair point :)

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Actually, he did officially back Chuck Baldwin not too long ago.

The reason he can't see a difference between candidates, is he realises both will not put our country further ahead. He can see individual aspects of each candidate though, and why they will fail his expectations.

7. darklich

darklich Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok. After seeing the debate I shall recant my assertions toward Ifill, not because Palin won, which she most clearly did, but because Ifill was quite objective in her approach to the debate. Interestingly, it seems to me, possible, that she may very well have bent over backwards to avoid appearing biased to the detriment of Obama. At any rate Ifill did a fine job, case closed!

8. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    "not because Palin won, which she most clearly did"

what was that she won? a hunting trip? a new rifle? what?

9. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Now what if Palin made a fool of herself with the exact type of moderation? I bet you wouldn't be praising Ifill on doing a good job then. ;)

I personally think the questions Ifill asked were too broad/vague/easy or whatever you want to call it. The type of questions that you can answer by just using common sense, but very little facts were needed to answer anything. And that's where Palin's true stupidity is shown, when it's time to give details, facts, and/or history. She is completely clueless about the actuals.

I wish Ifill asked questions like Katie Couric does, ask for specifics. Palin would have probably been demolished if that happened.

10. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I disagree with your evaluation of Palin's performance, but you deserve credit for recanting your statement, even if it was with a proviso.

Frankly, I think Ifill did not fulfill her obligation. She let Palin stray from the topic too frequently and avoid answering questions beyond her experience and areas of expertise. Ifill should have insisted that Palin answer the questions asked, especially after Palin proclaimed that she had no intention to do so. Part of her job as moderator was to do just that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.