The favorite food/comfort food/food craving..what I am eating now or about to make..all food "inclusive" thread..:p XD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cin', May 2, 2011.

1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Torta Ahogada - It is called "drowned" because the sandwich is submerged totally or partially in a sauce made primarily of a dried chili pepper called chile. Found mostly in the city of Guadalajara. You can go to a hundred Mexican restaurants that serve a regular torta and not see this one. Stumbled into a place that had it. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/04/torta-ahogada-history-sandwich-guardalajara-mexico.html

[​IMG]

My favorite torta is a Torta Cubana though. Not every place has this one either. Quite a few serve it with a hot dog in it as well, tho it's not my preference.

[​IMG]

https://la.eater.com/2014/10/31/7139719/mexican-torta-super-tortas-df-south-la-dining-on-a-dime

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Stir fired bamboo shoots.

[​IMG]

If you haven't had them, they taste a bit like hearts of palm, sun chokes, and/or artichoke hearts. Going to an Asian market over the weekend, I saw for the first time Chinese cauliflower.

[​IMG]

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Salvadorian Pupusas- Various meats (pork, chicharones) and cheese inside, topped with pickled cabbage and hot sauce. Paired with a fresco de tamarindo (fresh tamarind drink).

[​IMG][​IMG]

There is a Pupuseria a couple hundred yards from my in laws house.

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Takoyaki- ball-shaped Japanese snack made of batter and cooked in this special molded pan, filled with minced or diced octopus (tako). They top them with bonito flakes, and when it's still warm, the flakes move around. They're a real tasty snack.

[​IMG]

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Samosas

[​IMG]

I didn't make them- just bought a box and will drop them in the fryer tonight, and make an herbal dipping sauce for them (cilantro, fresh chilies, garlic, and olive oil).

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Baba Ganoush- Same recipe as Hummus, except you replace the chickpeas with eggplant. Something like this although I do not measure.
    • 3 medium Italian eggplants (about 2 pounds total)
    • 3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
    • 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
    • 3 tablespoons tahini
    • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    • Kosher salt
    I do bother to slice the eggplant up, brush them with oil oil, and grill over mesquite coals to give it a great extra flavor. I prefer it a little chunky, as opposed to creamy, like in this pic:

[​IMG]

Convel likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Jook (Rice Porridge)

[​IMG]

Simple and delicious comfort food.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Went to KBBQ again over the weekend. While there is a lot of choices in meats (filet, rib eye, pork, chicken, shrimp, squid etc.) 80% of what we order is prime cut Korean short ribs. It's all you can eat and the quality of the meat is superb.

This cut:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not this:

[​IMG]

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Enchiladas Suizas. A favorite of mine that I can make to perfection. I do make the verde sauce from scratch. Pic is missing a drizzle of Mexican crema (essentially crème fraîche), and a little cilantro on top.

[​IMG]

Gabrielgvs likes this.
  10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Tiramisu

Creative.

[​IMG]

I don't even bother ordering this dessert any longer since everyone seems to have their own interpretation, and most just aren't that good. If it's not made with mascarpone cheese and some sort of liqueur, it's not for me. This version in a bowl is my favorite and what I think Tiramisu should be.

[​IMG]