Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cin', May 2, 2011.
Katsu Chicken Curry and Rice
Machaca plate. A favorite hardy breakfast of mine. Shredded beef, scrambled eggs, peppers, onions, tomatoes which is all fried, rice and beans, corn tortillas.
With true machaca, the beef is dried in the sun although you very rarely see it made that way.
@Fishon If I come to America, will you be my food guide?*
*May or may not be a serial killer.
I see that your gender says male
And hello, Dexter.
Just don't wack me and we're good. Took a chance and invited a couple of NBR guys to the house before, and I'm still alive.
You live in England in I'm not mistaken. Do you or anyone in your family cook well? Are you adventurous and go out to some of the different ethnic restaurants sometimes?
Thai Fish Cake (Tod Mun Pla)- Had this dish as an appetizer last night.
But what I'm really craving is Steamed Fish with Curry Paste (Ho Mok Pla)
Generally, I don't think meeting with people you've met online is that big a risk if the circumstances of the encounter isn't sketchy. The occasional socially awkward person doesn't do much harm. I believe I read about you meeting with someone from NBR long ago. Radji, Ichinenjuu, and... one other person from the bay area, was it? I might need to jog my memory here.
I'm not from England, but you might unwittingly have been led to think so. I believe I passed a joke on to these forums about having a different, English first name from elsewhere, and I happen to favour British spelling. In actuality, I'm Norwegian.
While I do enjoy cooking, I blame rarely trying exciting, new recipes on time constraints and living by myself. Those are of course poor excuses, and carving out some time to get passionate in the kitchen would probably do me some good. There are few things that feel as worthwhile in the moment as trying exotic food, and when I do go out, I prefer foreign cuisines that are somewhat authentic. Unfortunately, there aren't as many strictly ethnic restaurants here as I suspect you of having in your vicinity.
Oh, now I recall this after you mention it- you're Norwegian. I watch these two cooking show on public broadcasting from time to time. The second guy is from Denmark.
One thing that's nice about the SoCal area is the ethnic mix, and therefore all the great restaurants. And even broken down into different regions of a country. There is Northern Thai, Bangkok street and more formal for instance. Mexican restaurants that specialize in Oaxacan mole, Michoacan carnitas, and seafood from Veracruz. A mecca for Asian food- Taiwanese, Szechuan, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Laotian... it goes on and on. One of the reasons it would be real difficult to leave this area. We're completely spoiled in this regard.
Would you say it's not instrumental to know where the best ethnic restaurants are in advance? Can you just dive in, explore, and get the best of what SoCal has with an entirely adventurous approach? Sure sounds like your area has a lot to offer!
One of the best clues is when you see the place full of people from said ethnic origin eating there. A place that has been there forever and has a line out the door is obvious. Love to find those 'hole in the wall' places were ambiance is not the thing, but the food is. I have a group of people I know and respect their opinions on food, so this helps. I do use this website somewhat https://www.chowhound.com/ as foodies make their comments here. I respect these guys quite a bit: http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants Become familiar with a reviewer whom you can trust. 95% of the restaurants out there are not that interesting and their food is only serviceable. It's an easy business to get into and most do not have the passion of making anything good, just providing themselves an income. The other 5% are passionate about their cooking, and adhere to authenticity and tradition. I will ask the waiter not what is most popular on the menu, but what would/do they eat and what might be the restaurant's signature dish. And you have to be willing to strike out and be disappointed as well. It's not an exact science, but you get to have a feel for these things. Not everything on the menu as to be good as well. Just the couple of items you order. Don't go against the grain of what they do best and order the fish as a steakhouse. I'm also willing to travel a long distance to eat at a restaurant I like.
So good and so authentic. http://www.sanamluangclaremont.com/ Thai is a great example where 99% of it served to white people is crap. Essentially Chinese with heat/chili. My Thai friends educated me on what is the real deal. We even go to a Thai temple north of LA to eat: https://www.eater.com/2016/8/23/12607828/spicy-thai-street-food-what-buddhist-temple-parking-lot-dining-dime. If you meet someone of a certain ethnicity, ask them where they would go for good food of their cuisine.
Separate names with a comma.