The favorite food/comfort food/food craving..what I am eating now or about to make..all food "inclusive" thread..:p XD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cin', May 2, 2011.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I make my own fried rice as well. Not too bad. Mix it up with salmon or steak or chicken but usually include green onion and mushrooms and egg, and sometimes sweet peppers. Good stuff.

Fishon likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Couple of tips if you are interested. Most importantly, cook the rice (long grain) a day ahead of time and put it in the frig. This will prevent lumping. Try not to use a nonstick pan as this dish should be made on very high heat and nonstick pans are not designed for this. For perfect fried rice you shouldn't cook it on the stove top since your burners are not hot enough, but at least use a wok that's well cured and add the oil when the wok is almost smoking. Use peanut oil for the correct flavor and since it has a high breakpoint. Don't use too much oil. Don't add the scrambled eggs directly into the rice, but cook separately or at the bottom of the well of the wok while pushing the rice to the sides. Green onions are an essential ingredient, and personally I never add frozen peas and carrots but you see them used quite a lot.

HTWingNut likes this.
  3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Yeah, I need to get a good wok. I've cooked it in my skillet, but I think a wok would be better. It's hard to find good fried rice. I'm not great at it, but I think it tastes as good as or better than many cheap chinese restaurants I've gone to.

4. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Dinner on Saturday night. Duck à l'orange. beef short ribs, and Mahi Mahi in a lemongrass sauce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Cheeeze

[​IMG]
    John.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    While in Portland we went to an old school seafood restaurant and had halibut cheeks, sauteed pismo clams, and crab cakes. Bow tie wearing waiter serving up a couple of nice Knob Creek Old Fashions as well.

http://www.foodspotting.com/places/...-portland/items/278722-halibut-cheeks-picatta

Also, the city of Portland has almost no fast food restaurants, but they offer all kinds of street carts and the Persian food was excellent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  8. creamsoda

creamsoda Newbie

Reputations:
    People change, yet they stay the same.

Just letting you all now that I am still around, and lurking in the background. ;)

Oh the memories that haunt me of this place.

Talin.

Fishon likes this.
  9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Wow. It's been a long long time. Howdy!
    _______

Bánh tét- For the Chinese New Year made by a family member.

[​IMG]

You eat it fresh the first day, then cut them up and fry them afterwards. Delicious.
    ________

Made Chicken Fried Steak last night. Not chicken, but tenderized beef chuck for those who do not know.

[​IMG]

creamsoda likes this.
  10. creamsoda

creamsoda Newbie

Reputations:
    It has! Hope you all have been well. :)

I miss the old times here and everyone here. :) (before the Invisigoth days o_O)

Fishon likes this.