The Evil Within - ridiculous system requirements

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by octiceps, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Every other FPS is a drop in the ocean compared to PS2.

LOL I think most people have >4GB combined RAM + VRAM. Things get really nasty when you're dealing with SLI/CrossFire since it eats into the address space even further. :p

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    It's true though. I SERIOUSLY wish people would properly use hardware for real advancements in gaming. Don't ever get that wrong. I just see way too many 64-bit games coming out that don't use even close to 4GB of RAM at all. Makes me feel like it could have just been x86 and been done with it. But they'll push for x64 to no end and then use almost no advancements from it. It's dumb.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    If I had my way, all intensive apps like games would be native 64-bit, no 32-bit fallback. 4GB can be pretty restrictive for modern AAA's (especially DX9 since combined RAM+VRAM usage cannot exceed 4GB), and native x64 apps gain additional performance benefits, which I'd argue is even more important than the much larger address space.

4. Rafael_paez87

Rafael_paez87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wonder if this game will be playable with the latest nvidia mobile cards. Like the gtx 870m (6gb) and 880m (8gb)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    By the time The Evil Within releases, those cards will be relegated to also-ran status. ;)

6. Rafael_paez87

Reputations:
    If nvidia releases the new 970m and 980m yes. But i wonder if i can play this game with those cards.

7. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I'm fairly sure the 870M and 880M can handle anything you toss at it. Incidentally even Shadows of Mordor with its 6GB vRAM requirement LOL

8. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You should be fine as long as you have at least 4GB VRAM. :rolleyes:

9. Rafael_paez87

Reputations:
    That's what i wanted to hear

10. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    A 32-bit program (Oct_Test.exe) exceeding 4GB of DRAM + VRAM. Unfortunately I only have a 2GB card to test with so while requested VRAM usage of 2.8GB exceeds 2GB some obviously spills over into the GPU shared bytes.

[​IMG]

Optimizing takes time and costs so as many have said, if it runs good enough with the hardware then usually optimizing slows right down from there. Not saying that what's happened here, just that it happens.

Do you remember quite some time ago kkrieger-beta, a sub 100KB FPS, what ever happened to that?

Look on the positive side, should give those 880M owners with 8GB of VRAM something to smile about. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.