The Evil Within - ridiculous system requirements

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by octiceps, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    That's because MW3's internal render resolution is 1024x600, while something like Virtua Tennis 3 renders natively at 1080p. If what you said is true (which it isn't), how do you explain these direct frame buffer captures on 360 and PS3, both of which are clearly full 1080p?

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/7/4/5/2/8/Virtua_Tennis_1_1080p.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/7/4/5/2/8/Virtua_Tennis_2_1080p.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/articles//a/7/4/5/2/8/Virtua_Tennis_3_1080p.jpg

Anyway, did you take a look at that Beyond3D post I referenced? Read it and the links embedded within, it'll tell you all you need to know about resolution and scaling on last-gen consoles. I studied this stuff pretty in-depth many years ago, you're not gonna be able to convince me otherwise regarding something I've seen with my own eyes which I know to be correct.

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well, I'm telling you what I know. Also a direct framebuffer capture of the dashboard is the same 620p thing, even if you set the console to output at 1080p. Had a friend test that in real-time for me when I pointed it out to him and he said it wasn't true. So for a game to render above the dashboard is indeed weird. No, I didn't look at that post in depth yet. I did a lot of looking before, at different games that were meant to have an internal render above the one I know to be X360's max, but I neither have a X360 nor any way to test the framebuffer captures myself, far less the games.

And he didn't only work on MW3. He didn't even try to find out all the things I mentioned until I started asking him about what it's like working and coding for games (as I always wanted to get into game design) when I found out he was working at Activision, and then later at Microsoft. If your statements are true (and you have a lot of documentation to the fact), then the simple fact is that to this very day, MICROSOFT'S GAME DESIGN EMPLOYEES and many MANY MANY other developers from various companies like Activision's collection of design studios (treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, Raven Studios, Neversoft Studios - now defunct, High Moon Studios, and various others) as well as EA's repertoire of game design studios do not know how the consoles they are working on even properly work.

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Maybe because they're game designers and not programmers/engineers or artists. ;)

4. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    I was including the entire teams, which means the programmers, engineers and artists.

5. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Oh, I was simply making the distinction between gameplay designers and more technical roles, e.g. Romero vs. Carmack, Bleszinski vs. Sweeney, etc.

6. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Yes, I understand, but what I meant was I was including said people. Everyone in a team means everyone in a team XD.

7. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    I just hope that total war actually start leaning for heavier system requirements.

simply put its one of the most demanding games out there and it isn't in a 64bit exe

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    64-bit .exe games don't really have many benefits yet. They have the ability to access and use a lot more memory in total, but they rarely do so (except apparently vRAM usage these days... >_>). I don't mind games using more out of our hardware you see. I just want it to actually MEAN something. Instead of just being "oh well we don't need to optimize down for 512MB on X360 anymore, so we'll just use 6, 8, 12GB on PC and make 100GB games that are 12-hour SP linear story runthroughs".

9. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I think 64-bit should be standard, not extra. 64-bit CPU's have been out for over a decade, 64-bit OSes have been widespread since Windows 7. LAA 32-bit apps can only access 4GB RAM and a lot of games nowadays need more than that. PlanetSide 2 used to crash incessantly (at least once per hour) due to hitting the limit. After the 64-bit update, out-of-memory crashes are almost completely gone, and performance got a nice boost too. It's the only game I have that consistently uses 5+ GB RAM, which is understandable for an MMOFPS of massive scale.

10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    If PS2 uses 5GB of RAM, then that's the ONLY x64 game I know of that <S>does so</S> uses over 3GB, far less more than 2GB. BF4 uses 2.2GB at most (3GB with mantle) and all the x64 CoD games use 2GB alone. BF4 also used 2GB alone. So did Titanfall. Watch Dogs I believe also used 2GB too. x64 is currently more of a thing people just use for no reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.