The end of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    FWD cars can be excellent driving machines, particularly on the small side of the automotive world. BMW's Mini Cooper is one example (and this car will share a platform with the next-gen Mini Cooper), my Civic Si is another, the Volkswagen GTI is a third.

I've sometimes thought about how nice it would be to have a Mini Cooper S with four doors, a trunk, and less of the ridiculous interior design. This checks all three boxes.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I don't have an issue with front wheel drive particularly and it's not like there aren't any sporty front wheel drive cars as you mentioned, but it seems like BMW (following Audi and MB's lead) have swallowed the Kool-Aid and decided to make a cheap FWD car with a BMW badge, just to sell more cars. I hope it's not anything remotely like the CLA, extremely cramped, poor visibility, loud, unrefined. What's unfortunate is how expensively priced the normal 1 series was as RWD/AWD, then they make the BMW 320i but it's barely cheaper than the 328i.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    But there's a crucial difference between this and the CLA. Mercedes has a long and distinguished history of making front-drive cars that aren't nice to drive: the A-Class and B-Class, not available in the US market but widely sold elsewhere. And the CLA is just a B-Class with four-door-coupe styling. On the other hand, BMW has a fifteen-year history of making front-drive cars that are awesome to drive, and this is based on that same platform.

This FWD 1-Series is going to be a bit loud and harsh, because Minis are. But it's not going to be dull or bad to drive; it's going to be awesome to drive, because Minis are. But it'll be free from (1) cheesy Mini styling, and (2) Mini loyalists screaming about what body styles are and are not permissible. Like VW sharing the same platform for the Beetle and the GTI and the A3, this allows them to reach a wider audience with the same platform and same engineering.

5. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The new BMWs are hideous. The front end looks squished.

6. kais91

kais91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they have shareholder to impress. and one easy way to achieve that and have better numbers is to cater to the crowd who can't afford the mid tiered bmws. they are trying to put out more selection for consumers and have their vehicles share similar platforms. it's not a bad thing and small vehicles and fwd =lots of fun. this doesn't mean bmw is done. just means they are trying to cater to a crowd that wasn't able to afford their cars in the past.