The dreaded 8 beeps. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Clawz114, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawz114

Clawz114 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here you go;

http://m.imgur.com/edqE2pj

PC257 is printed on the PCB. The capacitor has 100 EFK-Q71 written on it. Power socket can be seen middle left.

I can probably test my charger and battery on my colleagues M18x just like I checked my LCD. We work at different branches but hopefully I can do this tomorrow.

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    PC = Power Capacitor. Looks like this Panasonic series, so the 'E' and '100' would mean 25V and 100uF in this designation system. One of these would do, all ~$1. Measure the thing first; it's either 6 or 8mm in diameter and 6-8mm tall, which could matter as to whether or not it'll still fit inside after re-assembling the laptop. Preferably order the one with lower ESR; internal resistance increases with age and heavier use, so that's likely what happened here as well.

Interestingly ... it's part of the same power circuit that failed with this M18x R1 (and several others), even if that concerned a different type of chip. Perhaps you'd best order higher quality replacements, rather than sticking with the original. Do replace both capacitors; the other one will be worn as well. Look for the same form factor, except with lower ESR, a higher temperature ceiling and/or more life hours.

3. Clawz114

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!

So, my old motherboard may be repairable with a couple of simple capacitors, but as for the new one I'm a little confused. The battery won't charge on either of them and the system will boot up on the new motherboard, but not the old. I've gotta sort out the capacitors on the old board first of all really because I can't do any kinda reliable testing with it in it's current state. I'm just a little concerned that I bought this new (used -supposedly fully working) motherboard off an ebay computer shop, and it doesn't seem to want to charge my battery.

4. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's weird. I don't know how to help you with the battery, sorry :(

5. Clawz114

Reputations:
    So, I have an update.

I am with my work colleague at moment, and his power adapter charges my laptop, and his laptop.
    My power adapter on the other hand only charges his, but not mine.

I have tried switching the kettle leads round but that makes no difference. I can't really understand what's going on here. Why would my system reject my power adapter, but my friends laptop accepts both?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That's really odd. I don't know how or why that could be the case.

7. Clawz114

Reputations:
    I have some more info after some playing around.

I used my friends adapter to charge my battery (while he used my adapter with no issues), then as someone in here suggested I updated the bios. It was already on the latest, so it just erased and re-installed. Immediately after that, my adapter worked with my system. Left it charging for a good 15 minutes. It all seemed fixed. Even shutting down and restarting didn't cause any problems. However, as soon as I unplugged it and reconnected it, it refused to charge.

After many many times testing, neither my adapter or my friends adapter had any issues charging my friends system, and his adapter never failed to charge mine. I swapped the batteries around and it turns out that it makes no difference which battery is in which system. Whichever one is in my laptop, if used in conjunction with my adapter, it won't work. I've tried wiggling all the cables to check there's no loose connections or anything and they both seem fine.

I think I've just gotta buy a new adapter and hope it wants to play nicely with my system.

deadsmiley likes this.
  8. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for updating your progress. It is GREATLY appreciated that you are sharing your findings!

9. Clawz114

Reputations:
    My new charger came today, and it works perfectly.

Still waiting on the new capacitors for my old motherboard but when they turn up, I'll get those replaced and see if that fixes the old board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.