The dreaded 8 beeps. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Clawz114, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good news boys and girls, I got my edid file fixed and I'm back online running full speed with my 980m's

I'm gonna have to say most likely you still need to flash the screen, I just did this and it worked great but I was wise enough to use the rig that wasn't effected with this to flash the screen instead of using the effected unit.

2. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    His screen works in the other laptop so it's not damaged. It's motherboard probably. If you will replace motherboard please consider selling HDD ribbon cable as it's very hard to get.

kenny27 likes this.
  3. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Might be worth to blind flash the bios on the mainboard, might need that.

To do the recovery process you need to remove your m18x r2 battery.

Unplug the back power cord as well

Plug the usb stick with the file M18R2.hdr in the M18X's e-sata port

Now hold down the END key (located above the numbers key pad) at the same time while your holding the END key plug in the power cord only, you will hear the fans turn on full bolt.

Release the end key and wait

After a few seconds once the file is read from the USB stick you will hear 20 or 30 beeps (sounds like a garbage truck reversing)

After the beeps stop the m18x will shut down and reboot itself. ( 1 or 2 times depending)

Once reboot all will be back to normal A03 bios.

Connect the battery back if you wish after successful boot.. That's all folks, things should work now unless you bricked the EC controller, which is hard to do.

Credit goes to this link. Here

4. Clawz114

Clawz114 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, an update.

I bought a motherboard off ebay and it arrived today. I performed the swap and got 5 beeps. I did the process of removing the battery, holding the power button then starting it with fn and power, and that worked. The laptop then did this system checking thing that I've never seen before. After that was done, it booted fine but I have one pretty big issue. Everytime I turn it on, I get the following warning;

"The AC Power Adapter wattage and type cannot be determined" etc etc.

When I log into Windows it shows the battery as 7%, plugged in, not charging. I can't seem to make it charge. This is the same battery and charger as I was using before, the only thing different is the motherboard. The laptop runs with no battery plugged in, with just the charger connected.

I'm wondering if the US and UK have different motherboards for the same laptop, and due to power differences, this is why it won't accept the charger? Does anyone have any ideas?

5. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have UK motherboard and 330W charger, no problems.

6. Clawz114

Reputations:
    Hm. I'm in the UK and my system, including charger, is a UK one, but the motherboard I bought was from a US seller.

7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Dell uses the center pin of the plug to id the adapter. The id returned by the adapter is verified against a white-list in the bios, so ... since the old mb was fine, updating the bios (and ec) to a newer version ought to do it.

They're bastards for doing so, of course, but there you are o_O .

8. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Chargers are same, there's only one ID for 330W AFAIK. European version has EU power cable, US has US power cable and so on.

I doubt if it will change anything but you can try updating to unlocked BIOS.

9. Clawz114

Reputations:
    I can't update the bios right now because the battery needs to be connected, and it has less than 10% charge, so it won't begin the process. It was at 6% when I tried.

I decided to try to charge my battery using the old motherboard with nothing connected to it apart from the battery and the charger. The first LED on the battery flashes for about half a second, every 2 or 3 seconds. I left it like that for about half an hour to see if it was charging. Plugged the battery back into the system that has the new Motherboard installed and the battery now shows 0%!

I then noticed that my old motherboard has a broken capacitor, one of the two near where the mains lead connects. It was tipped over at a 45 degree angle with one of the contacts broken. I felt it to see how secure it was and it just broke off completely. I have no idea what this particular one does but I'm wondering if that may have been the culprit of my original issue.

10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    It's certainly possible if that prevent the system from providing sufficient power to the gpu. Make a photo of the pcb, that should be sufficient to identify it. Also see if you can make out the markings on the chip itself. There's also the scribbles near the chip on the mb; C = capacitor, R = resistor, F = fuse and so on.

That the battery didn't charge on the new mb could also indicate that the battery itself has shorted, which in turn may have caused the chip on the old mobo to fail due to overload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.