The dreaded 8 beeps. Need some advice.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Clawz114, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clawz114

Clawz114 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I presume when you say power drain, do you mean hold the power button with no AC or battery connected to discharge everything? I removed both graphics cards but the problem remains. The screen does light up black, but it doesn't display any text etc, then it gives me the 8 beeps.

I did a bit of searching on the EDID corruption issue and it seems I'm probably just another victim of that. From what I can tell, there is no fix for the R1 and R2 M18X models. So do I now just have a broken screen with no way to repair it? (M18X R1)

*edit*

According to the Dell support page on the issue here;

http://www.dell.com/support/article...9da29470abbbfa4bfc9a8&ven3=471902788744878933

my graphics cards are not listed as being affected (GTX560s) I can't seem to find any reported issues of this happening on my cards.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look at this thread - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...illing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/

You will find information about how to fix screen. You have two options:
    • Borrow screen and start laptop using borrowed screen then hot-swap to screen with damaged EDID and flash correct edid under linux. DO NOT RUN WINDOWS USING BORROWED PANEL.
    • Use hardware programmer and reprogram EDID
    There was also some way using external HDMI monitor but it doesn't work in all cases.

Dont believe Dell. They just don't give a damn.

Can you also do something for us? Did you used some specific software prior to edid damage? like EVGA precision, nvinspector, monitor overclock, driver update? Did you updated Windows 10 recently or you ran it without updates?

@Mr. Fox can also help here because he's experienced with this problem.

3. Clawz114

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I actually have a work colleague with an M18x (same model as mine) which is still on Windows 7, and he is willing to let me use his panel too. I just need to go through the thread and find out how to go about re-programming it.

Are you sure the M18x R1 can be reprogrammed? In my searching last week, I recall reading something that said only the panel on the newer Alienware 18 can be reprogrammed?

As for software I used, I never used EVGA precision on my laptop, or any other kind of overclocking/tweaking software, certainly not since upgrading to Windows 10 since I didn't install much. Before I upgraded to 10, I used a fan monitoring program, Realtemp maybe? But that was way before Windows 10. I always installed Windows updates though, and upgraded my drivers every now and then (not automatically)

4. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For details ask @Mr. Fox

Looks like Windows 10 is still not safe. If you haven't used any pixel OC software then Nvidia driver or system itself killed your display. It happened to @Mr. Fox one time too.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You can reprogram any of them. You can use a programming tool connected to a USB port on another computer with a LVDS connection or you can use Linux. Using Linux is the easiest as long as you have a good display to work with. You boot to the Linux desktop using the good display, hot swap the bad display while still on the Linux desktop and flash it. Most Alienware laptops with this problem cannot boot from HDMI with the EDID corrupted like you can with a Clevo. Alienware had the bright idea of programming the BIOS to check the EDID during POST which is why you have the 8-beep issue. Most Clevos with a bricked LCD will still POST and either not light up the LCD, or the screen stays black until Windows loads a good EDID from the registry. Being able to do that, they can be flashed with Linux by simply booting with an external monitor connected over HDMI or DP.

Below is the content I emailed to another person a few days ago. You may find it useful.

Here is my first post where I used Linux to flash the LCD. Ignore the part about clipping the wire. That does not fix anything as we thought it might. This post has information and photos you may find useful as you prepare to do this. (I recommend using instructions provided by @t456 in the link after the one below.)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...levo-lcd-panels.779449/page-158#post-10090770

Look here for the detailed instructions and links to downloadable USB Image tool and the special Linux version with the tools and EDID files for flashing already included in the package:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...bricking-systems.781467/page-23#post-10170202

The instructions look daunting, but if you break them down, read as you go and carefully follow along step-by-step it is not difficult even a tiny bit. It will take longer to create the bootable Linux USB stick using the image tool than it does to fix the bricked display.

Note: Your M18xR1/R2 screen is the SEC5448 model. The EDID file has that name. It will be in a folder in the Linux Home folder if you download the Linux from @t456 in the link above. After flashing, dump the new EDID that you flashed before rebooting out of Linux into Windows and use the web-based EDID reader to verify the checksum is good. You should be able to connect to the internet in Linux.

After flashing, either boot Windows into Safe Mode and rename the EVGA Precision X folder or clean install Windows so EVGA Precision X does not accidentally undo your fix.

Here is another thread with a similar account with useful information including an alternative set of instructions explained by @Prema:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...ecision-x-help/&do=findComment&comment=129490

This version of EVGA Precision X is an old one, but I am using it and find it is safe to use with any version of Windows. It works with all recent NVIDIA cards, including 980M. This is in my Google Drive. It is not easy to find it anywhere on the internet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwdqi25LDwZyYjJTRHZVbTBXazA

Here is an AWESOME Alienware skin you can use with it. Just place the USF file in the skins folder, then select it within EVGA Precision X.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwdqi25LDwZyM3BOWnAxRUZmNGc/view?usp=sharing

6. Clawz114

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot Mr Fox! That's super helpful!

Would you say I'm better off just wiping my OS drive after fixing the screen and going back to Windows 7? I don't use any overclocking type software like precision etc, but I've actually come to like Windows 10 now. From what I understand, there's a risk of it happening again, even if I don't use precision etc? Would I be okay on Windows 10 if I stuck to an older Nvidia driver and didn't update it or are there just too many unknowns to risk it?

Thanks again!

7. TurbodTalon

TurbodTalon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's still not safe to run Windows 10 on the M18x laptops huh? I was just wondering the same exact thing since every other computer in my house is running Windows 10.

8. Clawz114

Reputations:
    So, today I plugged the screen from my friends M18X R1 into mine. I went to load Linux from the memory stick after selecting try without installing, screen goes black and I presumed it was loading. It stayed like it for 5 minutes so I turned the laptop off, tried again and got 8 beeps. I plugged my own screen back into my laptop, 8 beeps. Neither screen worked again on my system after about 5 attempts of each.

I then plugged my screen into my friends laptop and it worked perfectly. So it turns out, my screens EDID is not corrupted as it works fine on my friends system. I've tried mine with the graphics cards switched, each graphics card on it's own, and no graphics cards and I still get 8 beeps. This must mean that it can only be my motherboard?

9. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah or screen connection

10. Codenamefa

Codenamefa Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the same issue happening on my laptop, I'm actually going to be doing the whole 9 yards for fixing it, I'm going to use my m18x R1 to flash my R2's display with the EDID file, I will then use my R1 to delete any reminisce of that heinous thing called EVGA from it and I will be immediately rolling back my OS to prior to EVGA to get rid of the files. I also have the mainboard bios on a flash drive, win 10 on a flash drive, which I have 2 of all the stuff. 2 flash drives with the linux fix for edid, 2 bios flash drives and 2 windows 10 flash drives so no matter what I will be able to do this and if worse comes to worse I will perform a transplant of the screen and a mainboard if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.