The Dell XPS 17 3D with Sandy Bridge Has Arrived! Recommended Specs?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by insidemanpoker, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalingrin

dalingrin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That quote referencing 3D is not talking about a 3D display, just 3D style game rendering. The fact that it says Optimus is "(Optional)" is yet another pointer to the fact that the 3D display capable L702x will not have Optimus.

2. bydoempire

bydoempire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    any one have an "insider" update on the production of these units? my current delivery date says the 25th of this month.

3. elguapo

elguapo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This makes a lot of sense to me (re Optimus real savings, GPU/CPU cooling and performance; 4 RAM slots v. 2 in the 900p). I have followed the L701x thread and now this one. i plan to order one: timing and configuration are questions.

i will use the unit for work: document reading/drafting (lots of reading...), research (multiple simultaneous sites) MS Office stuff, maybe some graphic apps.

as importantly, will use it for play: photo and (mostly) digital editing, and music recording and editing/mixing (native/live recording, mix tracks, edit with effects, etc) none of it too sophisticated.

so, if i understand you, there are practical advantages to 3D that outweigh lack of Optimus/WiDi for my use, too. Correct?

contemplating i7 quad; HD: seems that two 500Gb @7200 units is the best deal. from what i read it will be easy to swap in SSDs when prices come down. someone also mentioned storing content on a removable SATA HD. looks like the place to economize is RAM- easy and cheap upgrade. 4Gb would be sufficient?

on the downside, one advantage of 900p screen (i think) is that the 900p offers better-quality NVIDIA graphics cards (555 and 455 available) and drivers: is this correct? and, in the end, for my uses, does it make a difference?

last is timing. there will always be something better 'soon'. is the consensus that, in light of my contemplated uses, no advantage to waiting for non-3D, Optimus-enabling? my current machine is hanging on....more or less....

Thanks for any remarks/guidance.

4. Rebkos

Rebkos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, if im gonna order new XPS with backlit keyboard, can i then turn the keyboard light off? Like when watching a movie or something..

5. slb1904

slb1904 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe you can.

6. compwiz0620

compwiz0620 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It will go off after a minute unless you set it otherwise, or you can hit the backlit keyboard key until it goes off, then it will stay off.

7. ans04

ans04 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are 3 Backlit settings
    Off/Low/High
    which can be set by the backlit button, and as mentioned above, will go off after a min of no laptop usage (moving mouse/pressing a key).

8. pcgeek

pcgeek Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you set it so that it will stay on?

9. compwiz0620

compwiz0620 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, through Windows Mobility Center.

10. passat123

passat123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read a lot about the the not working nvidia Optimus technology in combination with the 1080p 3D screen in this topic. I regret this decision of Dell, and would rather have a 1080p NON-3D screen with Optimus. However, this choice unfortunately is (still) unavailable.

The reason why Optimus is important for me is that I tend to irritate myself very quickly to whining fans in my laptop. Especially because there is little background noise in my house. I am afraid that with the Nvidia Geforce working all the time, the fan is always on even in office-use. (which would be a deal-breaker for me). Is there anyone who has this laptop already? If yes, how is the fan behavior? Is it spinning at an idle desktop? If not, I will definitely order the XPS 17 with 1080p screen, because the specs are really great!