1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

The Dell XPS 17 3D with Sandy Bridge Has Arrived! Recommended Specs?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by insidemanpoker, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So it looks like the wait is finally over and the Dell XPS 17 3D has arrived with sandy bridge processor in tow.

I wanted to open this thread for discussion on the different spec options and hear thoughts on what people consider 'must' upgrades vs upgrades only for the heavy gamer etc etc. Which Intel processor? Are their 3D glasses worth it? Which wireless card option is the best? To 9-cell or not to 9-cell? the list goes on..

Also, all models support WiDi 2.0 and Netgear Push2TV PTV2000?
    I'm excited it is finally here :)

XPS 17 Laptop Details | Dell

2. smlhoop

smlhoop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm interested in the WiDi but I came across this in the Tech Specs of the XPS 17 3D:

Intel® Wireless Display (not available on 3D panel)

Dell XPS 17 Laptop Details | Dell UK

Do you reckon this means that I cannot use WiDi if I select the FHD 3D screen?

3. tacchan23

tacchan23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone knows if the xps 17 has any sata 3 port for the HDDs?

4. insidemanpoker

Reputations:

Are you SERIOUS?! I thought basically ALL Sandy Bridge processors would be widi compatible and i was just trying to confirm. How can this be? If true, this is so god awful...but i was under the impression that all you needed was the proper i5 or i7 SB processor?

Update: I just spoke to a dell rep who said he was 100% sure you are wrong about this. Where did you get this information? Are you sure it doesn't just mean you can't display 3D stuff?

5. smlhoop

Reputations:
    I think you are correct in thinking that all Sandy Bridge processors would be WiDi compatible as they now have integrated graphics. However, I do remember reading that Optimus would be disabled on laptops with the 3D panel as well. This would explain why WiDi is not available as there would be no access to integrated graphics without Optimus.

I do hope my memory is failing me and there is both WiDi and Optimus on the XPS 17 3D. I have asked a Dell rep the question and he said he would get back to me tomorrow with the answer.

Edit: Quoted from Direct2Dell blog:

'The i7 version now supports Optimus, unless configured with the optional 3D FHD panel – this uses the discrete GPU full time.'

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2011/01/06/dell-news-from-ces-streak-7-tablet-venue-smartphone-enhanced-dell-stage-and-more.aspx

6. insidemanpoker

Reputations:

Thanks for the info. I am not overly tech savvy so you can translate that last part? Are you now SURE the dell rep i spoke to was wrong and that it will be impossible to have both a FHD panel and widi?

7. smlhoop

Reputations:
    If the information in the Dell blog was correct then I am pretty sure that the Dell rep is wrong. I couldn't be 100% sure unless I had the laptop and had tried WiDi.

My understanding is that if Dell do not enable Optimus on the XPS 17 3D, as stated in the Dell blog (linked previously), then WiDi will not be available as there will be no access to integrated graphics and only the discrete graphics (Nvidia GT 555M) will be used. No integrated graphics = no WiDi.

I am awaiting a response from a Dell rep to clarify this but if this is the case I will be steering clear of the FHD 3D panel.

8. Ktulu85

Ktulu85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    why is there no option for a 1080p screen WITHOUT 3D??

That would solve people's problems of no optimus or widi ...

9. guapper

guapper Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Exactly.. like the 1080p B+RG that used to be served in the Studio 17.
    So we could have gorgeous color FHD AND optimus topped with a little widi.

10. msf12555

msf12555 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I saw the same thing. I would want a 1080p screen with no 3D. Maybe its early and they just haven't configured that on the website, but it seems to me that offering 1080p on a 17" consumer laptop ONLY with 3D is a monumental screwup.

11. tacchan23

tacchan23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    +1
    Guess I'll try and wait to see if they add the 1080p with no 3D in the near future:(

12. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    ding ding ding.

the roll out of the xps line has been one giant disappointment for me. first, there was no 17" with FHD which was absolutely idiotic (a high performance desktop replacement that doesn't even give the option for a high res upgrade), then rumors of the SB model coming feb 1st with FHD. And now it hits the market and you are being forced to go with a 3D laptop if you want FHD which means no integrated graphics at all (why?) and worse battery life for a stupid gimmick.

all i wanted was a FHD 17" laptop that used SB and supported WiDi. i assumed dell would offer this and am in shock how terrible they are for not.

13. smlhoop

Reputations:
    I think I shall be purchasing the XPS 17 without the 3D panel and then installing the FHD AU Optronics B173HW01 V.4 panel mentioned in the L701x screen swapping thread. I would prefer Optimus and WiDi to 3D.

Something else I have discovered in the Dell tech specs page is that if you dont opt for the 3D panel then the memory is only upgradeable to 8GB. I would have liked the option to upgrade the memory to 16GB in the future.

14. 4thehorde4

4thehorde4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Umm I still don't even see the 1080p for either the 3D or non-3D for the L502x on the US Dell website, am I missing something here?

15. insidemanpoker

Reputations:

can someone explain to me why they arent offering for a $ upgrade the ability to have FHD and optimus and no 3D?

16. msf12555

Reputations:
    I think we would all like to know that, lol. Makes about as much sense as their last generation did, not offering a 17" 1080p screen on a "premium" 17" laptop.

17. msf12555

Reputations:
    To make this seems more ridiculous, they are offering a 1920x1080 B+RGLED TL screen on the new XPS 15, just not the XPS 17. I don't get it.

18. msf12555

Reputations:
    And on another note, when you select the graphics card, it lists it as 555M 3GB with Optimus, so that's a pretty horrible description if Optimus really is disabled on that unit.

19. AX-Turbo

AX-Turbo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can´t understand your criticism for 100%... for the 1st generation of XPS 15, the upgrade to 15.6" non-3D-FullHD had/has a price of +200€ (sorry Germany here). Now the 17.3" upgrade to 3D-FullHD has a price of +235€. This is adequately in relation to the 15.6" price in my opinion. Or what do you estimate from Dell, a 17.3" non-3D-FullHD for only +120€? I really don´t believe that you get this.

@Topic: for German/Austrian/Swiss XPS-Fans, I recommend the XPS 17 (N00X7M06) at the moment. Today Dell upgraded it from only 3 GB to 4 GB for the same price, also it´s the first config here with an optionally backlit keyboard - and, of course, for free, price for upgrade is €0.00. :D

[​IMG]

20. msf12555

Reputations:
    The problem isn't one of price, it's that they aren't even offering a 1080p screen right now on the XPS 17 that isn't 3D. A lot of people that would consider this laptop don't want 3D, they just want a normal 1080p screen. They are offering a backlit keyboard here as well (it's not a free upgrade though), but they offered one on the last gen as well.