The death of the American sedan, take three

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    With the A8, I see a similarity only in the newest Chrysler 300s. But there, the same thing with the Bentley applies; totally different price bracket. An A8 starts at over $80,000 and can easily hit six figures. The Chrysler is pretty unique right now for offering an upscale interior, RWD, and full-size room at a class that doesn't make average people shoot milk out their noses.

Galm likes this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yeah for sure. I still consider an A8 a more like... realistic dream? For many vs a Bentley which is just way way too much money. But I agree with what you're saying.

Mitlov likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Keep in mind also that the Dodge Charger, Challenger, and Chrysler 300 remain products of the DaimlerChrysler era, with only minor to modest styling/content updates for the 10+ years they've been on the market. The major up-front development costs have long since been paid for so these cars can be profitable even if they're not selling a ton. The Dart and most recent 200 were released in 2013 and 2015, respectively, and while they were decent enough products, they didn't have enough strong points to really be competitive in their respective classes. The Dart was slow, heavy, and not particularly fuel efficient. The 200 suffered from the same problems the old Ford Contour did. Its size was in no-man's land, too big for a compact, too small for a midsize. The only place it found a home was at Enterprise. That kills resale values, which weren't great on non-Jeep FCA vehicles in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I thought Ford did quite well in Europe? And they have a new next-gen Focus in Europe, they're just not going to sell it here in the USA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2019-focus_sedan/

killkenny1 likes this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I also just realized that the alleged aversion to sedans isn't hurting the Tesla Model 3 in the slightest. Tesla easily could have made it a CRV-shaped crossover, but they made it a traditional sedan, and they can't build them nearly fast enough to meet demand.

[​IMG]

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, Mazda just knocked it OUT OF THE PARK with their new 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Ford/Lincoln's last hurrah with the sedan is a limited edition Continental that actually has the suicide doors that it should have had all along:

[​IMG]

booboo12, hmscott and Jarhead like this.
  8. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Honestly if the Continental Coach Door takes off - they should just make it a standard production thing. The cost to do such a thing has to be enough so that they can't be expecting to only sell 80 or whatever they say they're limiting it to right?

FWIW, I don't believe they said anything about killing off non Ford branded sedans, so the Lincoln stuff would stay? IMO with a bunch of Cadillac product leaving, it could be the opening Lincoln needs - they won't beat BMW in terms of driving dynamics like Caddy did/does but sales of the Cadillacs show that no one expects or arguably wants a American luxury brand to do that. Why chase after something no one wants instead of delivering just a solid old school luxury vibe like Lincoln is right now.

RE Model 3: Tesla has a advantage solely because of the brand's halo. They could sell crap on a stick and it'd be popular and in demand. If that sedan were branded anything else I would expect similar sales issues to everyone else. They also don't have a subcompact/compact luxury CUV to siphon sales off. Once Model Y arrives, it'll be interesting to see what happens to Model 3 sales.

The Mazda3 looks gorgeous - here's hoping Mazda can get the tuning of the twist beam rear end right. If anyone can, it's them, but it's critical - a poorly done twist beam just sucks to drive.

hmscott likes this.
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They already do.

booboo12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.