The CIA, NSA - Niantic and Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Eh, I like poking at things online every so often. Most of it has been on FB though, with the last major NBR poking I've done was the Bitcoin thread ;).

Personally though, I do have a negative view of politicians in general (regardless of party). Nevermind the "power corrupts" quote, but politicians seem to have a tough time understanding fields outside of their limited knowledge (law, mainly). Especially evident in the technology sector, a great example of this is the Fed's insistence of a government backdoor to encryption. Same with other STEM fields (climate guy being an example). Honestly, I'd like to replace all politicians with experts in the respective fields (CS majors for software laws, Ag majors for farming/food, teachers for education laws, scientists for science policy, etc), but that won't happen soon :p

As for the 13yo thing, that's already covered under COPPA. Not sure why a hearing was needed.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Harvard i-lab | Where are the Boundaries?: AR/VR Ethics & Policy

Harvard i-lab | Beyond Pokeman GO: Using AR in Novel Ways

Pokémon Go News: Niantic CEO John Hanke Announces 3 New Updates For 2017 As Game Reportedly Crosses 650 Million Downloads
    BY RISHABH JAIN ON 03/01/17 AT 12:20 AM
    http://www.ibtimes.com/pokemon-go-n...es-3-new-updates-2017-game-reportedly-2499636

"Is the Pokémon Go buzz dying out? Niantic CEO John Hanke does not think so.

“In Pokémon GO, we're only getting started with the game. We just launched our first major update (80 new species). We have 3 major new releases for Pokémon GO mapped out for this year,” he said in his keynote address at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Tuesday.

Niantic seems to be trying hard to sustain player interest in the game as Hanke said at the event that the game would have three major updates in 2017, the first one of which was the recent Gen 2 update. He did not reveal when during the year the two other updates would be rolled out. He had also earlier indicated that the player vs. player battle system would be coming “soon,” but even for this feature, he did not give any dates.

The company put out some impressive stats for the game at the mobile phone conference — Niantic Labs chief technical officer Phil Kreslin said that Pokémon trainers had walked 8.7 billion kilometers (5.4 billion miles). Till date, gamers have made 500 million visits to stores partnering with the game, the CEO claimed, according to Adweek."

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Pokemon Go & Designing Interactive Games for the Real World
    Published on Mar 21, 2017
    "In this GDC 2017 talk, Niantic's Dennis Hwang describes the various UX and visual design choices that were shaped by a focus on real-world gaming, and how they led to a fun and accessible play experience for a diverse set of players across age and gender demographics."

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Microsoft Windows Hacking Tools Leaked by NSA - How? Why? What Next?