The CIA, NSA - Niantic and Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Jul 24, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The site compressed several posts into this one... I split them up with __'s to make them easier to find.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/23/oliver-stone-calls-pokemon-go-totalitarian/

Director Oliver Stone appeared at San Diego Comic Con on Thursday to promote his film Snowden. While on the topic of surveillance, the panel, also including Zachary Quinto and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, was asked to opine on the Pokémon Go phenomenon.

Quinto offered a mild critique of gadget-obsession, but Stone’s reply was much more intense:

"It’s not really funny, because . . . what’s happening is a new level of invasion . . . the search for profits is enormous here, enormous. Nobody has ever seen in the history of the world something like [former Niantic owner] Google. It’s the biggest, new, fastest growing business ever.

And they have invested a huge amount of money into, what surveillance is, data mining. They’re data mining every single person in this room for information as to what you’re buying, what you like, above all, your behavior.

So Pokémon Go kicks into that. It’s everywhere. It’s what some people call surveillance capitalism—it’s the newest stage. It’s not for profit at the beginning, but it becomes for profit in the end. Because it creates its own awareness, and it gets into everywhere in the world, until it manipulates our behavior, and we start to act like that, which has happened already quite a bit on the internet.

But you’ll see a new form of, frankly, a robot society, where they will know how you want to behave and they will make the mockup that matches how you behave, and lead you into another form of behavior.

It’s what they call totalitarianism."

"Niantic" is the name of a city in Connecticut...

National Security Agency Salary in Niantic, Connecticut
    http://salarygenius.com/ct/niantic/salary/national-security-agency-salary

"Welcome to Salary Genius
    Below you can find the data we have collected for National Security Agency salary in Niantic, Connecticut. "

"The average yearly salary for National Security Agency in Niantic, Connecticut is $274,384. If you are just beginning to work a new job as a National Security Agency in Niantic, Connecticut, you could earn a starting pay rate of $225,963 annually. As is true for most jobs and careers, you can expect your hourly pay rate or salary to increase as you gain experience and the longer you are employed with the same employer.

In Niantic you could potentially make an average income of around $322,805 after several years on the job with increased wages. When pursuing your career of choice, you should compare salaries of similar professions and factor in variables such as health benefits and potential for raises and promotions over time."

Of course there is no NSA location for Niantic CT listed by the NSA - Niantic with a very small population declared - 3,114 (2010).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niantic,_Connecticut

The *name* Niantic is NSA derived? o_O

NSA => Niantic Security Agency indeed...

It's probably just some JR data entry person at Salary Genius making a fun "fake" Niantic entry relating to the NSA, right??...:confused::p:D:eek:o_O

Intelexit - help secret service agents quit their job

THE STORY OF INTELEXIT
    Intelexit was started by activists from Peng! Collective in September 2015 as a media campaign with public support from ex-NSA officer Thomas Drake. The campaign was so successful that Intelexit is now building a community of people who want to support.
    https://www.intelexit.org/

Anti-surveillance activists send a drone to pamphlet-bomb an NSA complex in Germany
    CORY DOCTOROW / 12:42 PM MON OCT 5, 2015
    https://boingboing.net/2015/10/05/anti-surveillance-activists-se.html

This New Campaign Wants To Help Surveillance Agents Quit NSA or GCHQ
    https://www.wired.com/2015/09/campaign-help-surveillance-agents-quit-nsa-gchq/
    nsmail-1.jpg
    nsmail-2.jpg

WELCOME TO CALL-A-SPY
    THE FIRST CALL-CENTRE FOR REACHING OUT TO SECRET SERVICE AGENTS
    https://www.intelexit.org/callaspy/
    "Call-A-Spy is the world's first open-to-public call-center for anyone who wants to reach out to their personal spies. Using modern technology, you can press a number and will automatically be connected to a random spy working at agencies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Canada. The list of agencies includes IARPA, NSA, IC IG, NIC, DNI, DHS, FBI and subcontractors like Verint, TeleStrategies and Cambridge Intelligence in the US; MI5 and GCHQ in the UK; BSI, BND, BVA, BfV, MAD, their subcontractors like Trovicor, DigiTask and the federal state secret services (Landesverfassungsschutz) in Germany; the DGSI und SCRT in France and the CSIS in Canada. It's exciting, it's fun, and it's opening a door to the utmost isolated people who have the worlds most intimate data at their fingertips."

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    TBoneSan likes this.
  2. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    See this is what I mean, especially the bits in bold. I appreciate you have a crusade, no matter how pointless I think it is - good on you. It's the condescending attitude that irks people, the idea that everybody who disagrees with you is somehow a lesser human. You seem to have issues way beyond online privacy.

Here's what I care deeply about - my daughter, my girlfriend and how much I enjoy life before I die. That's it.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Dude, I'd be more concerned about that flashlight app on your phone which requires an internet connection and your contacts list ;)

HTWingNut and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Weird, mine requires Camera, Microphone and Location access too...:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    ‘Pokemon Go’ sees 10 million drop in daily users; game developer Niantic to blame?
    Robie Ferrer | Aug 25, 2016 04:14 AM EDT
    http://en.yibada.com/articles/154272/20160825/pokemon-go-pokemon-niantic-pokemon-go-players.htm

"The hugely popular mobile gaming app "Pokemon Go" may have already passed its glory days. A latest research data has revealed the big drop in daily players amidst various changes that Niantic has implemented.

Game developer Niantic's app "Pokemon Go" have started to lose millions of its daily players. Data from Axiom Capital Management has shown a more than 10 million decrease in players for the period of July 5 until Aug. 16, BBC reported. The game launched in early July and has since seen countless gamers take to the streets to capture Pokemon creatures and engage in Pokegym battles.

The highest number of "Pokemon Go" players in Axiom's data is said to have reached nearly 45 million daily users. However, the daily player count posted on Aug. 16 has dipped to a little over 30 million. The decrease in daily users came at the time when its game developer launched the mobile app in Brazil and other Asian countries, as indicated in the same report.

However, there has been many speculations on the reason behind the decreasing number of players. One reason is said to be the result of the technical changes and gaming feature adjustments that Niantic has made. Avid players may recall the developer's removal of the "nearby" feature that previously helped to identify the location of a Pokemon creature. Although Niantic has already introduced a new tracking system in a recent game patch.

Another reason is said to be the expected player count decline that typically follows after a game's launch date. PocketGamer.Biz's Craig Chapple told BBC that the drop in daily users is inevitable given the game's rapid rise in popularity.

A similar sentiment was also mentioned in a report posted on Forbes. The report has even highlighted the three types of players who may have lost interest in "Pokemon Go" since it was first released.

The first player type is said to be curious gamers who may have downloaded the app but left after trying out the game. The second involves gamers who may be playing the game on an irregular basis depending on new features or content. The last player type would be experienced gamers who may have dropped stopped playing given the glitches or updates that changed the game.

At this time, it would be too early to tell whether Niantic would be able to sustain the interest of its "Pokemon Go" players. However, the said game remains to be one of the most popular gaming apps in the world."

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Niantic responds to Senate inquiry into Pokémon Go privacy
    Posted yesterday by Kate Conger (@kateconger)
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/niantic-responds-to-senate-inquiry-into-pokemon-go-privacy/

"“Niantic does not and has no plans to sell Pokémon Go user data — aggregated, de-identified or otherwise — to any third party,” Power wrote. She added that data is shared with mobile app analytics companies and with marketing and analysis companies, but that these companies are under confidentiality agreements to keep user data secure. User data shared with third parties does not include the data of users under 13, the company said, and no user data will be shared with investors."

It seems Niantic doesn't realize that shared with third parties is the same as selling it to third parties - we don't care if Niantic are compensated, we care that the information is being shared as identifiable by user - 13 and under are apparently protected, but not the rest of us.

Check out the rest of the article, and the PDF of the letter from Niantic Counsel to Al Franken, US Senate:
    https://www.franken.senate.gov/files/documents/160826NianticResponse.pdf

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Should have been pretty obvious if you read the EULA. Apparently the Go users were alright with it :eek:

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    A US Senator didn't think so, requested further info, and clarification on the treatment of minors 13 and under.

Read and learn, don't spout and shout ;)

9. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    A US Senator also believes climate change is a hoax because it snowed in DC recently.

(These aren't excatly the smartest kids on the block, is what I'm saying)

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Try saying something positive and helpful, you don't always have to be critical and dismissive.

Again, read stuff first, think about it, learn something, then only post if you have something helpful to add to the conversation.

Do you really think I want to hear what you have said so far about this all? Has it helped me or anyone else reading this?

And, more over, you don't group people into a category - Senators - and dismiss them all with the worst of the thing 1 person every did in the history of Senatorial judgement.

I don't think even you believe what you said, do you?

Do you think you are smarter than a Senator? Think about it, and I think you will agree, you haven't a clue what they know and don't know :)