The CIA, NSA - Niantic and Pokemon Go!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hmscott, Jul 24, 2016.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The CIA, NSA and Pokémon Go
    http://www.networkworld.com/article/3099092/mobile-wireless/the-cia-nsa-and-pokmon-go.html

"Before heading out to capture Pokemon, you might want to consider the data the game has access to and the history of the company that created the game"

"This is not an opinion piece. I am not going to tell you Pokemon Go is bad or that it invades your privacy. I’m merely presenting verifiable facts about the biggest, most talked about game out there."

"Let’s start with a little history.

Keyhole, Inc. was founded by John Hanke (who previously worked in a “foreign affairs” position within the U.S. government). The company was named after the old “eye-in-the-sky” military satellites. One of the key, early backers of Keyhole was a firm called In-Q-Tel.

In-Q-Tel is the venture capital firm of the CIA. Yes, the Central Intelligence Agency. Much of the funding purportedly came from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). The NGA handles combat support for the U.S. Department of Defense and provides intelligence to the NSA and CIA, among others.

Keyhole’s noteworthy public product was “Earth.” Renamed to “Google Earth” after Google acquired Keyhole in 2004.

In 2010, Niantic Labs was founded (inside Google) by Keyhole’s founder, John Hanke."

"Over the next few years, Niantic created two location-based apps/games. The first wasField Trip, a smartphone application where users walk around and find things. The second was Ingress, a sci-fi-themed game where players walk around and between locations in the real world.

In 2015, Niantic was spun off from Google and became its own company. Then Pokémon Go was developed and launched by Niantic. It’s a game where you walk around in the real world (between locations suggested by the service) while holding your smartphone."

"Data the game can access
    Let’s move on to what information Pokémon Go has access to, bearing the history of the company in mind as we do.

When you install Pokémon Go on an Android phone, you grant it the following access (not including the ability to make in-app purchases):

Identity
    • Find accounts on the device
    Contacts
    • Find accounts on the device
    • Precise location (GPS and network-based)
    • Approximate location (network-based)
    Photos/Media/Files
    • Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    • Read the contents of your USB storage
    Storage
    • Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
    • Read the contents of your USB storage
    Camera
    • Take pictures and videos
    Other
    • Receive data from the internet
    • Control vibration
    • Pair with Bluetooth devices
    • Access Bluetooth settings
    • Full network access
    • Use accounts on the device
    • View network connections
    • Prevent the device from sleeping
    Based on the access to your device (and your information), coupled with the design of Pokémon Go, the game should have no problem discerning and storing the following information (just for a start):
    • Where you are
    • Where you were
    • What route you took between those locations
    • When you were at each location
    • How long it took you to get between them
    • What you are looking at right now
    • What you were looking at in the past
    • What you look like
    • What files you have on your device and the entire contents of those files
    I’m not going to tell people what they should think of all this. I’m merely presenting the information. I recommend looking over the list of what data the game has access to, then going back to the beginning of this article and re-reading the history of the company."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    i_pk_pjers_i, Prototime and TBoneSan like this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    The CIA’s ‘Pokémon Go’ App is Doing What the Patriot Act Can’t
    https://www.corbettreport.com/the-cias-pokemon-go-app-is-doing-what-the-patriot-act-cant/

"The maker of the app? Niantic Labs. Never heard of them? That’s because until last year they were an internal start-up of none other than Google, the NSA-linked Big Brother company. Even now Google remains one of Niantic’s major backers. Niantic was founded by John Hanke, who also founded Keyhole, Inc., the mapping company which was created with seed money from In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s venture capital arm, and which was eventually rolled into Google Maps.

So yes, the Pokémon game currently taking the internet by storm (and scooping up all their data, including activities, movements and communications) was created by a CIA-linked businessman who gestated his company at Google.

Feeling safe yet?

As it turns out, the big, bad Big Brother Spies of the NSA and the DHS and the CIA don’t really need their Patriot Act powers, after all. All the powers-that-shouldn’t-be need to do is create a fun, shiny trinket for the people to play with and they will literally pay for their own surveillance.

Welcome to the “Matrix Economy,” where people pay to spy on themselves…and have fun doing it!

Huxley would be proud."

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Senator prods Niantic about Pokemon Go privacy and security issues
    http://www.networkworld.com/article...t-pokemon-go-privacy-and-security-issues.html

"Personally, I’m just watching the Pokemon Go craze unfold. If I had considered checking it out by playing, seeing the unbelievably long list of access permissions the app required would have put a stop to it immediately before installing.

Although you may or may not agree that Pokemon Go is a “government surveillance psyop conspiracy” that has a “direct(-ish)” connection to the CIA, if you play the game then you better grab the latest update. Niantic claimed it pushed out “emergency fixes” since a “coding error allowed the app to get full access to your Google account.

If you’ve wondered why the heck the app needs access to “things like your precise location, your email address, IP address, the last website you looked at,” then you’ll be glad to know that Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) has your back. He added that the app may even be able to access “the contents of your email.”

“I am concerned about the extent to which Niantic may be unnecessarily collecting, using, and sharing a wide range of users’ personal information without their appropriate consent,” he wrote in a letter to Niantic. His letter asks for “greater clarity on how Niantic is addressing issues of user privacy and security, particularly that of its younger players.”

Franken wants answers to seven specific questions by August 12. Some of the things he wants to know: why Pokemon Go needs all that access; the list of third-party service providers with whom Niantic shares users’ information, as well as how that data is anonymized; and how the company informs parents that Niantic is collecting all that info from their kids. He's also prodding Niantic to consider making the collection opt-in as opposed to the no-privacy-by-design opt-out.

Franken wasn’t the only person in an uproar about Pokemon Go’s full Google account access, but it didn’t stop over 7.5 million people from installing it."

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    People like to panic over anything lol.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Great, I'll need a thicker tin foil hat now...
    Then again, I don't play that crap. But then again...again, I think Big Brother has no trouble accessing my crap anyway...

Ashtrix and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    You're a funny guy :)

I can assure you that nowhere near enough people are concerned for the level of concern that should be induced by the truth's already verified and known.

People are so numbed by the deceptions and lies, so afraid of the truth, they seek refuge in things that mean nothing.

Or make disarming dismissive comments to alleviate their discomfort. :D

Then why do they continue? If they have enough, wouldn't they stop and be happy with what they have?

They have been shutdown, called out, put on display for their behavior, and now can only do it publicly, and with your cooperation.

Stop that "unknowning" cooperation, and stand up for yourselves, protect it or lose it.

It's scary, I know, but it's better to know and make informed decisions than to encourage the deceptions and make them common place.

It's not too late to gain control of yourself; Don't give up before you even try :eek::rolleyes::p:D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2016
    steberg, E.D.U., Ashtrix and 3 others like this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You've already lost.

killkenny1 and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    No I haven't, and neither have you :)

One step forward and two steps back is a process not a destination. :D

The key to eventual success is to learn, to progress, to be patient, and to never give in, never give up, never become a part of the problem. :cool:

Ashtrix likes this.
  9. Ifrin

Ifrin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    What's crazier, knowing how and by whom the software was built, funded, and distributed, all government funded clandestine operations, developed over many years...

Or your response to the truth? :confused::p:D:eek::rolleyes:

Foil - Take it Home, Save it for Later

It always helps to dig in and seek out the truth, start at 2:00, or before, if you dare. :D

It's never Tacky to seek the Truth :confused:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    TBoneSan and Prototime like this.