The CF-28 F.A.Q. - Read me before posting

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Modly, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    IDE and SATA are hard drive interfaces if I am not mistaken. All CD and DVD interfaces are the same.

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Its a new standard, Quite rare so far for notebook optical drives
    I have had a sata dvd writer in my desktop computer for a couple of years now

Alex

3. TechCy86

TechCy86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Question, is it possible to add a video card?

4. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No there is no support unless you do something external made by another company. (if this is even made)

-James

5. hacksaw921

hacksaw921 Newbie

Reputations:
    Iam in need of a key for the CF-28 toughbook..there were several keys used
    in the locks..I read eariler that to use the art of impression to make the key..not. this key cannot be made that way..the lock number is PTA 578
    if anyone has a spare key to this lock or knows where I can get 1 email me asap.

6. hacksaw921

hacksaw921 Newbie

Reputations:
    Iam in need of a key for the CF-28 toughbook..there were several keys used
    in the locks..I read eariler that to use the art of impression to make the key..not. this key cannot be made that way..the lock number is PTA 578
    if anyone has a spare key to this lock or knows where I can get 1 email me asap.:)

7. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    If yours didn't come with the keys, I wouldn't bother trying to find one. They are expensive if you want to get a replacement.

8. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Hacksaw -

Panasonic used a bilateral tumbler type cylinder in these laptops; it's nearly impossible to pick, but also the Access Key for them is nearly impossible to smith in the field. Heartland showed (when I was looking into this for myself) a very few #s still in stock, and those at $50 each, just for the key.

Another issue you may not be aware of with these; the "security" provided by this lockset was more for appearance than functionality. It does NOT lock the LCD closed as one would expect; rather it disables the power key and "locks" the battery door shut. Even THAT measure of security is easily bypassed with a butter knife; see our discussions on the subject here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2842082

Since the key is only available on the CF-28 Mk1 and it costs about as much as the laptop is worth, my interest in the feature pretty much shut down in a heartbeat. In the big picture sense, you'd prolly be better off saving the money towards a Mk2 or MK3 and using the goodies from your Mk1 to finish the newer model out. Not only do they have a better/faster processor; their architecture is a lot higher on the food chain than the Mk1.

Good luck,

mnem
    Bulldozer chic. Sweet.

9. 9nine9

9nine9 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I discovered something while upgrading my CF-28, and thought this was about the best place to post it:

The Intel PRO/2200BG WIFI cards do not work correctly with just a single antenna connected; Reception is poor and the connection drops in and out. After adding a second antenna (and I suspect, although did not test, that it needs to be a proper antenna, a lead to an external RPSMA connector would probably not be sufficient.) everything works properly.

Also, if using this card under Ubuntu 8.10, selecting "disable wireless" in the network configuration will NOT turn off the radio on the card.

nine

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    That's another good reason why I use the 600mW Engenous cards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.