The CF-28 F.A.Q. - Read me before posting

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Modly, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Ebay is the best place... They sell them for a couple of bucks at Heatlandsi.com... But then nail you with $20 for shipping. (No matter the size)

2. flegelenator

flegelenator Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently have gotten my hands on a number of CF-28 Toughbooks, all of which have the Sierra B300 analog aircard. I was wondering how to get it to work on the ham frequencies and any software needed to do so. I have so far been unable to find the air card in the device manager, the power button on the front shows that it is powered on and working properly, I think. I am pretty sure however that the card is a com port but I do not know.

3. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    flegelenator,
    That's a mouthful, welcome to the forum. You will need to find the driver/software app. for the aircard. I don't know anything about the service. Try Sierra first and then start looking through the Drivers and Manuals sticky. Good luck,
    CAP

4. 9nine9

9nine9 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Flegelenator

have you found anyone who has successfuly transitioned any AMPS gear to work on ham frequencies? I've been curious about doing it, but I suspect it would require both hardware modifications and a fairly major firmware re-write to pull off. The effort required to get it done has always seemed much greater than the benefit you would get.

nine

5. flegelenator

flegelenator Newbie

Reputations:
    Nine:

No I have not, however I have heard some rumors that there is custom software (which I have been unable to locate) that uses the aircard to transmit and receive on at least some of the ham frequencies. One forum I read said that there was some antenna modification, but he did not go into detail about how or any other modifications.

6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    You'll probably get a better respose to this question is you place your question in the main forum and not in a CF-28FAQ sticky....

7. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Fleg -

The RIM/CDPD cards operate in a reserved frequency range that is not available for public usage and I'm pretty sure they're hard-coded to not operate outside this range. While in theory you COULD write an app to talk to them like any other packet MODEM, you'd be operating in a spectrum that could have you hauled off in irons...

mnem
    Why is this dwagon wearing a ski mask?

8. 9nine9

9nine9 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    mnem

You are correct. However, there is a US amateur radio band from 902-928 MHz. The CDPD band is roughly 825-901 and 935-940 MHz. Theoretically, it should be possible to modify the firmware, and make the radio work in the amateur band. You would also need to rewrite the firmware to make it operate in a peer-to-peer (or even better, Mesh!) mode, which might actually be the bigger challenge. The other half of this is that you need someone to talk to and at 900 MHz, they better be fairly close (in amateur radio terms anyway) They would need a similar modem, modified in similar ways.

It's certainly an intriguing possibility

nine

9. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Why, yes, certainly... a whole 'nuther area of exciting new crime...

*Cackles*

mnem
    It wasn't entirely a disaster.
    I got stabbed! Right here!
    You also lined up exciting new crime...

10. Holiday

Holiday Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you Thank you Thank you,,, I love this site ive been reading all through , of course ive got a ways to go b-4 i read it all," if thats possible" .
    I just got my touchscreen up an running YES thanks Modly and to Cap and all the others who have put so much time in here .. Holiday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.