The CF-28 F.A.Q. - Read me before posting

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Modly, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    replacing kbd. fitted backlit rubberised kbd in place of white kbd. how is the backlighting enabled and/or controlled?

Craig.

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Craig
    Fn + F12

Alex

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Also... Fn+F1 decreases brightness... Fn+F2 increases brightness. Fn+F12 should give you 3-4 different brightness levels.

One tip with the rubber keyboards... As I am sure you have noticed... The ribbon cables are way short. A lot of time when you put the cover back in place and fold the keyboard in place... When you boot it up you find that only some of the keys work. This is because the cables are so short that when you put the cover back on it pulls the biggest ribbon cable out just slightly.... The fix????

Take a small piece of packing tape and tape it over the first connector. (The one with the brown lever) Make sure it starts on top of the connector then goes over the ribbon cable and back onto the motherboard. Press it down well to make sure that it is well adhered. Then you can carefully button it all back up.

But my advice is to turn it on at that point prior to putting the hinge cover back into place.

4. parahawk13

parahawk13 Newbie

Reputations:
    You guys ROCK! :) Just go a CF-28 and I am just learning all the things I can change and do to it. Thanks, I may have missed it but where do most of you get your parts EBAY?? Thanks

5. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum parahawk and yes, for used parts Ebay is the most popular place to look for these sometimes hard to find parts
    We also have a ToughBook Buy Sell and Trade Forum here
    Its on the top of the page
    You can post a WTB if you need parts
    Your cf-28 is popular model:)

Alex

6. parahawk13

parahawk13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the nice words of welcome. I am going to try a couple of the mods I have seen here. But I am going to get another 28 before. I do have a question. What do you think of the CF-18? :confused:

7. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The cf-18 is a nice portable unit with a great screen,and new enough to have good battery life with used batterys
    The smaller than standard keyboard takes some time to get used to

Alex

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    parahawk... What parts are you looking for?

Tomcat... How is the screen brightness of the CF-18 as compared to the CF-28? (Anyone can jump in that knows.)

9. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Rick

I don't know what the specs are , but the cf-18 is noticeably brighter than the cf-m34,and cf-28
    For the size it seems brighter than the cf-29 touchscreen and equivalent to the cf-29 non-touch
    You were concerned about your non-touch cf-29 purchase, but I notice the brightness increase on the 29 without the extra touch panel

Alex

10. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to Rick and Alex.... noticed it was lit up last night and the fn + f12 control works fine. Good that it's automatic with no config needed.

Yes noticed they are quite a bit shorter. Had no problem with the connectors since I'm used to tiny ribbon connections. Had to be careful when I screwed down the metal cover plate over the system board though.

Linked the pics of what i did into Rugged Computing on flickr.

Craig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.