[The big Race] The worst Clevo of my life. (How to put 6 grands in a paperweight)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LaPlume, May 9, 2018.

1. LaPlume

LaPlume Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt
    Pascal prices might drop as even if RTX won't have their place in the MXM world, soldered-to-the-board RTX equiped laptops might make MXM slot equiped laptops and their spare parts drop in price. Makes sense somehow?

You're speaking about the HM series, but as the P5 is my sole and only Clevo computer, and as wiring issues was never talked about in the threads I searched through, I'm not too sure about what you mean. Mine's a P570WM.

For the whole buying a gaming laptop thing, we talked about it earlier.
    I'm not really in for gaming, but 3D render. Thermals and storage are more important to me than portability, battery, or RGB lightshow, and I'm not willing to trade any of the first two for even the 3 lasts together.

A 4960X 6cores 12threads @4.4 with no thermal throttling, that's not an easy score to beat.
    32GB of ram, I surelly didn't aimed that quantity just to run a video game, and fill the rest with chrome tabs. After Effect, Adobe Media Encoder, Cinema 4D, they love their ram.
    1SSD + 2SSHD, that's not an easy storage solution to beat, and I need that for ingest and source files.

And I still haven't sold it because I didn't yet found any alternative with the same potential at the price I would be able to dump this bricked brick.
    Tell me, how much would you be willing to pay for a working Panther 5 i7 4960X, 32GB of ram with one ATI 8970M?

@Meaker@Sager which is not easy to find, as well at there is not many people selling those cards, so need to have double luck.

@deo974 You bought it last year, I bought mine 4 years ago. I didn't knew them at the time, and I was in a rush for a job when I ordered my computer.

I needed particular components at the time, aka the best OpenCL render capabilities. Resellers at that time didn't offered much in high end red-side. AMD was only present on budget solutions, so resellers weren't an option for an highend mobile crossfire workstation.

For taxes, sure, sometimes you get refunded cause it's less expensive in Reunion than France. I imported it tax free from canada to Reunion, paid Reunion taxes. All Good.
    My issue is when custom house is making me pay taxes on a free remplacement of a component. That's the scam. Surelly we lived on the same island, but you never had an issue with your computer. I had many, with everything. Consider yourself lucky.

Also, outside of their own website, today the 2nd to 9th results on my google search of "pc anywhere clevo" are forum posts about how they failed to provide accurate compatibility spreadsheets, and how some peeps are stuck with faulty laptops that they have issues getting refunded for.
    I was in a rush, and as Reunion always lags a bit behind, I don't know how it is today that I'm not there anymore, but at the time, I had very few options. And sadly, Eurocom seemed to be the less sketchy at the time.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I said wired like the HM, not that you have an HM version. If it's wired like the HM notebooks are, 680M is ur max.
    In terms of 3d rendering, your notebook would get smacked by the Asus GL702ZC ryzen 1700, P750TM 8700/8700k/8086k, P870TM 8700/8700k/8086k, Acer Predator with Ryzen 2700 and would have very similair performance to even the I7 8750H's out there.

Literally every laptop I have except for my macbook beats your stoage. P157SM-> 5SSD's, P375SM 4SSd's (could have added another for bluray), GT 72 2SSDs, 2HDDs. Not only that but due to M2. my GT 72 has much faster SSD's than you could possibly get into your notebook.

There are certain people who would pay decent money for your system. I wouldn't be one of them, since it's to much of a heavy brick and given the problems it caused and the fact that we are now at a point where thin and lights have similair performance, i'd rather not want it.

EDIT:
    I7 8750H @ 3.99ghz
    Your CPU @ 4.5ghz

So yeah, the thin and lights are actually faster than your brick. As I said, you'd be better of getting rid of it. Only redeeming quality was the fact that it has SLI and could technically be upgraded, which apparently isn't even happening on your revision, so in a nutshell, a small 15 inch thin and light gaming notebook will beat your maxed out system In gaming, rendering, batterylife, i/o etc.

I hope you finally start to realize, that it's just a waste of your time and money to still try to make it work.

If you can get a little money together this one would probably be the perfect notebook for you:
    http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-wt75-8sk-008.html

Desktop coffee lake for your rendering, 6 storage slots (with DVD replaced 7), extremely high color accurate panel, up to 128GB RAM, Quadro card for rendering that supports the openGL drivers, overall quality notebook.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018 at 4:53 PM
  3. LaPlume

LaPlume Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, ok, the issue being I still can't find anyone willing to buy that brick at a price that would allow me to switch to an other computer that wouldn't be a downgrade. And I hate to give up, given that this brick being a brick literally f*cked during 4 years of my life.

4. ArchCel

ArchCel Newbie

Reputations:
    While you might be hard pressed to find something new that is a downgrade in cpu performance with a current gen GPU that yo can afford. I'd say in many other ways it would be an upgrade, as you'd end up with a device that works, and comes complete with a warranty for the entire system.

While upgrading the Panther might be cheaper, and say you get it to work with a Pascal GPU, what happens if for whatever reason the system stops working? As you would then have no warranty on a system that you seem to very much depend on.

Exactly how much you can get for the panther I don't know, maybe there is somebody that has a practical use for it, and the will and finances to take a risk on it. Otherwise like danishblunt has stated, there are definately some that are willing to pay more than it should be worth just due to it being a relic of a bygone era of laptops.

Danishblunt likes this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It could be a case of throwing good money after bad.

6. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My condolences go out to you @LaPlume for having a bad experience with the Panther 5 from Eurocom.

As you can see in my signature I purchased my Panther 5 from Eurocom but I have not had major issues with my notebook to this day. I had mine equipped by Eurocom with Dual 980Ms because AMD GPUs have always had issues with drivers and such in these notebooks. Initially I had to use modified Nvidia drivers but with the newer 300 series drivers I no longer had to modify the drivers. Its been awhile since i have looked at my motherboard in this notebook but believe i have 2.1 or 2.2a motherboard revision as my Dual 980Ms work inside this notebook. I have an affinity for this notebook that is why I hold on to it similar to you. With the cost of 1060s I would not bother to try to upgrade the Panther 5 to a 1060 from a 980M because its not worth the time and money. Upon reading your situation it may best for you to sell it on EBay or Amazon and try to recoup some of the money back so you can purchase a laptop that maybe better equipped for your needs. You wont be able to get all or even half of your money back but you still could get enough to purchase a notebook with a 6 core CPU and a 1070.

Danishblunt likes this.
  7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Amen.

Even tho I would argue that the 1060 runs way more efficient. Tempwise a 1060 would be worth over 980M's, the 1060 is almost half the 980M's TDP. Performancewise u're right, they're extremely similair.

@LaPlume
    just shove it on ebay with a high pricetag while having "best offer" on and see if anyone makes a decent offer. I mean why let that thing even mess with you even further? As stated you'd be making a huge upgrade by even getting a thin and light.

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't SLI 1060's, so no.

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
  10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations: