[The big Race] The worst Clevo of my life. (How to put 6 grands in a paperweight)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LaPlume, May 9, 2018.

1. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    I honestly don't understand how people don't search these forums first when using a Clevo vendor. I and many others have had epic problems with Eurocom and I honestly have no idea how this company still exists given the horrible things they have done on numerous occasions to numerous customers. A little searching around the forum should tell any potential Eurocom customer all they need to know to stay far away from this company.

My condolences to the OP for having to deal with them.

Arrrrbol, EORUCIGN and Falkentyne like this.
  2. LaPlume

LaPlume Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well somehow when I was looking through forums, Eurocom was one of those with the least amount of crap dumped of them, and anyway one of the only companies shipping to Reunion Island, and in the pack, the sole one to sell Desktop CPU powered Laptops.

It's not like I would have had the choice anyway.

3. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your country doesn't have a Clevo reseller?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Google Reunion Island and you will see ;)

joluke and t456 like this.
  5. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They are considered to be part of the Eurozone, and they use Euro as currency, shipping might be artificially difficult, but there are re-shipping companies in EU to overcome companies stuck in the 80's that wont ship to X place.

If its in the Eurozone, re-shipping from France, or Germany shouldn't incur in any extra customs charges and might tip-toe around half the problems you had initially.

sicily428 likes this.
  6. LaPlume

Reputations:
    Well on reunion island (where I was from early 2011 to 2017), some stores have their local pole, but with 1-2years old stuff on shelves and brand-new-next-gen prices or higher. This area may be part of France, it has a whole lot of differences, like what I would call a "technological latency" in term of hardware offers (not even speaking about crappy internet), and also its own whole pack of taxes that add themselves to France's metropolitan ones.

If you look at it closely, also a lot of resellers don't ship to reunion island... back then trying to buy anything from a UK, German or even French guy on Ebay or Amazon, a lot of them, like 70% of french ones for example, don't ship to Reunion Island.
    Asus Store for example again, don't ship to Reunion Island. Most online stores like Fnac don't ship to Reunion, but they have store there... with 2 years old stuff on their shelves, at release-price or higher. Materiel.net used to not ship there at all, and don't have stores localy.

Reunion Island have quite an history of old colonial remote place, 30years ago people there were living pretty much like EU 60years ago, and it's 20 or 25% of people between 16 and 65years old there that don't even know how to read!
    This place's a mess, and like the worse french territory to live in for a techie.

I pretty much scrubbed the web multiple weeks before placing the order at Eurocom's evil lazy lair. It was not my only option, but the best price/perf ratio I found that would accept to ship to that well of a place without being able to find many people talking ill of them.

7. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    I looked after a good handful of sales to customers in the Islands 5-6 years ago...whilst indont have a comprehensive list of companies that do ship there I can confirm that it's no problem for us.

I think lots of companies based in Europe just don't have the knowledge to do it, if you don't have a commercial DHL, UPS etc shipping account then pricing and insurance can be tricky.

8. LaPlume

Reputations:
    Back from the dead everyone, and close to finally have the finances to afford a GPU for that hot mess without putting my everyday charges and needs in danger. On top of that, RTX series might get Pascal GPU's prices down, so it would be great.

From what I gathered from the whole thread, everyone is at least sure about something: dump the crappy Eurocom BIOS, and go for Premamod's one.
    I can't agree more as lately, XTU isn't even able to ajust cpu's frequency, locking it down at base 3.60ghz, when it's supposed to go up to 4.2 on all cores and 4.5 on one (according to my previous stress tests and overclock) Aka, freaking XTU can't even communicate properly with the BIOS/Motherboard. What The Flux?

Though, number of people are still having a debate about the GPU issue.
    -Some tell me I can't go for a 1060-1070 with a 2.1a rev motherboard (among them, eurocom themselves).
    -Some tell me I can go for a 980m, and others (like eurocom), say I can't go higher than a 680m.

I have litterally >one shot< at it. If I buy a GPU, I have to make it worth it quickly (by directly making it profitable through doing 3D modeling and renders).
    If I buy a GPU, then witness just failure to the sole reason there was no way for it to work in my MB rev, I will just be stuck with a still crippled computer, a GPU that I may have issues to sell in my area, and no spare money.

I'm just willing to know if somebody could certify that they got the same motherboard part number and rev and got XXX gpu to work in it with XXX bios version.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    High end RTX cards will not get MXM implemented for the same reason why there is no GTX 1080 TI MXM card, so pascal prices won't drop.

Maxwell should work, even Eurocom sells the "Panther 5", that being said, you never know if you got the same issue as the HM series, if u got the MXM port wired like the HM series you are locked to 680M. I'm still suprised you didn't sell that thing and purchase something decent like an AW 18x, M17X or MSI GT series, hell even the P3xx series or P17x series would be a major upgrade at this point.

Reason for my sugestion:
    You clearly don't have the money to salvage it since parts costs a fortune (CPU, GPU etc.), finding parts for your notebook is an absolute nightmare, support for notebook is garbage and it's extremely bulky even tho it's not needed.

You'd be much better off with a proper and good notebook like mentioned above. I think you might become a huge fan of an M18X. People like @Raidriar love those quality notebooks.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would work with a seller who is willing to let you test and return.

11. deo974

deo974 Newbie

Reputations:
    hello plume, thank u for the picture of the island. I'm from Reunion island too but i'm not quite sure i live on the same island as u. I buy my clevo last year from a french reseller and i can tell u, buy a product from reunion island is more interesting because the tax is less from France.
    Like a lot say before, you have to be caution went you buy Something on internet, you have to make some research to see if you can trust the company.
    you can search for "pc anywhere clevo" if you want to buy a clevo on french soil. for many year i bought my clevo at "pc anywhere" and until today i'm still a client of that company and my P775DM3-(G) run like a charm.
    I'm hope, you find an outcome for your computer.