[The big Race] The worst Clevo of my life. (How to put 6 grands in a paperweight)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LaPlume, May 9, 2018.

1. LaPlume

LaPlume Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Intro:

Hi,

I came here to have eventual advices and eventually genius idea to sort out... like the worst case of computer firewire ups I ever encountered. Yes, I'll mop up bad words with bad computer tech.

It's actually a shout out of a lasting situation I'm SICK of. I'm really, so so >DONE<.

First things first, yesh, my english is broken, I'm not from an english country.

The dream:

This whole deal started when I purchased a "Panther 5" from the (for me) overseas company Eurocom™, in 2014. It's built from the base of a Clevo P570WM/Sager NP9570 for info.

Purchased with a i7 4960X, 32GB of ram, and a crossfire of HD8970M, for about 5200€, without shipment.

Yes, I've been going for AMD GPUs at the time, and put pretty much my whole savings into this computer, as for my skills I was to be hired as a remote 3D artists, and the render we used was better polished for OpenCL than CUDA (which is... already weird).
    + the last nvidia GPU I had was a freaking leaf blower and had no issues with AMD for about a decade, so I was quite chill at the time of purchase, with no regrets.

It changed quickly.

First lap:

At first boot, drivers preloaded and so called "QC tested", cinebench triggered a BSOD related to amd drivers.
    Upon reboot, the crossfire case to select was grayed.
    And I also noticed the keyboard wasn't working properly, as half of the numpad keys was unresponsive.

Sending Eurocom™ a mail on the same day the computer was delivered, I waited few days for the answer. After that, for each mail I sent, the answer time grew exponentially, till I had months with answer, despite of sending more and more reminders.

It's only on the ending edge of my 1year warranty that I managed to send it back to them in RMA (still paying for about 350$ of shipment), the keyboard and one of the GPUs were replaced.

(yes, 1year for just being able to send it back... no need to say I actually lost my job offer to that I didn't had the required hardware to work)

Second Lap:

Boot, cinebench, BSOD.
    Reboot, crossfire disabled and can't be enabled, even through a restore point or CMOS clear, load world of warcraft just for testing purposes in single GPU, hard freeze of the computer, needs to reset again.

Send mail. No answer.

Send more mails, open tickets. No answer.

I call them, tell the guy the issue, he tell me to send him the whole mail history. I export it in html format with attachements and stuff, send the whole zip archive.

No answer after that.

Remember, I bought it in May 2014, lost my job offer, put almost 6k in this computer (with shipmentS), and here we are in mid 2015, and I still can't use it, and they actually bail on me.

Windows 10 came along, but encountered the same issue. So it wasn't OS related.

I obviously eventually harassed AMD at some point, but they told me, and were right, that it was to Eurocom™ to get it fixed.

Flat tires:

I kinda went into depression, unable to mop up the big hole in the wallet, and had to do side jobs (cause no hardware to do jobs I'm better at and which pay more) until 2017 when I got sick... and got a bit of time to harass them again.

In the mean time, I had it kinda working after freaking pulling out one of the two GPUs, but I ended up like turning it on once every two week to play a game or two, as I had no job to do on it anymore, as it still had some hick-ups.
    I was just so sick of it I still used an Asus K72jr as my main computer, even for most games (core i5 540m, 8bg of ram, 5470m)

New Green Engine:

When Pascal GPUs came along, and were announced to exist in MXM 3.0b form factor, I saw an eventual highway outta hell.
    BUT, for that, I actually needed them to answer questions about compatibility... so... I needed them to answer at least once!

I opened up a new ticket (quoting the existence of older ones), resumed the whole story, specified I had the so much required eDP 120hrz screen and EVERYTHING WAS SO PROMISING!!

I even harassed them on EACH twitter post I caught of them from december 2017 to april 2018!!

AND they finally sent me a mail (oh surprise, they do remember it) when random people started to try to figure out how badly they firewired up.

>BUT< it wouldn't be Eurocom™ if they didn't made everything wrong until the end of it all.

SCSIest finish line:

I bought the panther 5 on the dusk of its existence, with a Dual GPUs config, maxed out ram, and extreme processor... AND THEY GAVE ME AN EARLY REVISION MOTHERBOARD !

SO early revision, I actually had an employee at Eurocom™ doing the test on his side on the same board that nothing above a 680M passes on it! No 780m, no 880m, no 980m... he didn't bothered trying 1060.

SO now, the person I'm in touch with is actually offering me to buy a freaking motherboard on top of a GPU, that I'll have to put in by myself. I do have the skill, but just... does this company have any sens of honor or pride somehow?

4years,
    Almost 6k$$,
    Lost my job offer,
    I'm broken as firewire, (too broke to sue)
    Lost 20kg and ended up being 56kg for 1m87,

And I'm basically ask a grand and have to rebuild it entirely to have it FINALLY working?!

The End of the Race...
    for now

So, all in all:

-If you have a magical bios mod that would allow a 1TP570WM3050158 v2.1 motherboard to freaking rock a maxwel or pascall high end MXM3 GPU, I'm all ears out.

-If you are willing to call for a riot to have an offer that doesn't sound as much as a scam as what I'm actually offered, feel free to use 69 thousand decibel megaphone

-If you just sadistically enjoyed the story with popcorn... at the very least, share it! (the story, or the popcorn, or both).

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    woodzstack, Vasudev, Johnksss and 3 others like this.
  3. LaPlume

Reputations:
    Well Eurocom™ do put on their website that the P570WM needs a rev 2.2a or above to be compliant with Pascal GPUs.
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,282,0)CLEVO_P570WM_SAGER_NP9570

Given the "long experience" I had with them, I can tell they are sometimes full of SCSIt but I really can't afford to try for my luck.

Btw, here's the link I originally made the purchase from: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(3,224,0)Panther5

And btw @Prema you should take a look to Eurocom™'s bios... it has less features than most of my 2008-2010 laptops.
    Better for you, bios modder, than r/techsupportgore if your into that kind of stuff :D

I run a computer repair shop and actually kinda survive for now, doing that. And what's making me sick, is repairing dozens of computers a month, but not being able to fix my own...
    If I throw money on it and doesn't work, and can't go do 3D stuff to mop up the expenses, I basically sign in for bankruptcy...

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫٴiͤٴcͫٴeͤ੮Һ૯ ცɿ૭ ૭คעٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴٴ

Reputations:
    too bad you can't chargeback now

Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  5. LaPlume

Reputations:
    Eurocom™ actually refuses returns&charge back, even upon delivery. Sweet uh?

If I wanted to do it anyway, I would have had to sue them. And after such a purchase, and losing a job offer, and just recovered from some health issues, I wasn't able nor prepared to take on a company, nor able to afford to pay an lawyer to do it... Aaaand the consumers defense organisations I got in touch with, else didn't cared much cause it's an overseas company, else actually asked me money for them to pledge for my cause (really...)

Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    @woodzstack can you help this gentleman with something, you helped me before with my Eurocom GPU's issue.

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, with your BIOS mod, the 980M SLI worked really great in the P570WM that I had. No problems at all with stability or function.

8. Johnksss

Johnksss Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Same here. Mine ran like a champ.

DreDre, Vasudev and KY_BULLET like this.
  9. LaPlume

Reputations:
    That's some great news, tho if someone is running a 10xx on a rev2.1 motherboard, it would be great.
    Feels a bit wrong to pay more for a 980m which would roughtly score half the perfs of a 1060/1070 in renders and live previews, while still costing less in some places!

Vasudev, Dr. AMK and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I believe that 980M and 1060 are basically the same performance level. I am not aware of 1060 performing better than 980M based on what I have heard. I've never owned a 1060, (or a 1070,) so I cannot be certain about that. Maybe compare results on 3DMark.com and see how they stack up.