The Best Paid for Antivirus 2012

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by MrLost, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrLost

MrLost Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what the best antivirus software that you can buy in store. Keeping in mind:

1) Price (The cheaper the better of course)
    2) Least Computer Resources Taken Up (CPU Memory)
    3) Efficiency (How well it is rated to get rid of everything)

I've been looking at Bit Defender, Norton, Viper, Avast, AVG, Avira, and Kaspersky. I've also looked at PCMag, and other sites, and everyone seems to have a different opinion and they should, but I'm looking for consistency!

Edit: What works best for you? Those with experience

Thanks for any help / suggestions!

2. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
  3. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    My answer is that there's no reason to pay for anti-virus, on the home computer of the above average internet user.

Get MSE and something like Malwarebytes as a compliment, and there it is, free protection.

4. MrLost

MrLost Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Perfect! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Yes What you are using seems like one of the best combinations seeing as the ESET Advanced is $20 more when Comodo is great free software (so I've heard).

True say, I have been seeing the MSE + MBAM combos throughout these threads, I'm still trying to decide the route I want to take.
    Do these two programs run in the background and automatically catch the bad stuff (virus, adware, malware, spyware)?

I haven't had any experience with free AV software; I see how popular it is and how many people are using them, obviously they work but what I'm not really understanding is why still make programs that cost $ when there are free ones that can be just as good (besides the fact they still make money)? Whats the catch? What would the paid for software be offering that free ones don't?

5. lenovodude

lenovodude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bitdefender Internet Security 2012!

Very light and has the best detection rates amongst any antivirus!

6. MrLost

MrLost Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That is actually one of my top contenders at the moment! Does that have everything the AV Plus has? And then the extra for the internet?

7. lenovodude

lenovodude Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. yuyi64

yuyi64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know; I would be skeptical about trusting the opinion of any site that gave AVG 4 out 4 stars. I repair computers and remove malware on a daily basis as part of my job and 9 out of 10 infected computers that are brought in for me to clean out have either McAfee or AVG already installed (active and updated, yet infected). The remaining 10% are split evenly between MSE, Avast, and Norton. Rarely ever has one been brought in due to malware infections that was running a fully activated and updated copy of Avira, Bitdefender, ESET, or Kaspersky.

9. MrLost

MrLost Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Great! So I guess I'm looking at ESET and Bitdefender now; either one looks to be substantial enough!

10. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    I'd recommend ESET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.