The best OS for gaming.

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by giocavida, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TR2N

TR2N Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows 8.1 ftw

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    As far as real world performance goes Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 are one and the same. There is NO difference between them. I have thrown a plethora of games on both and all my Steam games run 100% the same with no negligible difference between either OS.

The only issue I ever encountered were a few games would not INSTALL because there was compatibility issues with the METRO desktop and that was Windows 8. I haven't tried them with Windows 8.1 and I wouldn't be surprised if they now worked.

Actuallly, this may sound dumb but Windows 8.1 looks more like a gaming OS than Windows 7 just from it's esthetics and UI design.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    From a gaming perspective, there's absolutely no difference between the different versions of Windows 7. Professional only brings a few corporate-oriented features, and Ultimate only adds additional languages and Bitlocker on top of Professional. I'm sure the same is true between Windows 8.x and 8.x Pro.

Personally, I use 7 Ultimate on my desktop (solely because university provides Professional and Ultimate at the same very-low price for students), though I did try out 8 (non-Pro) on it for a few days and noticed absolutely no performance difference from the OS alone (hardware was the same). It just boils down to "I like the Windows 7 interface" vs "I like the Windows 8 interface", which is a purely subjective call.

5. S.SubZero

S.SubZero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The UI is perfect for gaming. Sectioned groups of tiles with different genres. All games instantly available with one click.

6. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Do not disable UAC... just use the compatibility settings. There isn't a single game that I haven't been able to run by fiddling with compatibility settings in Win7. Even some significantly older ones like Diablo2.

Win 7 home is fine... professional adds domain functionality, ultimate adds bitlocker, language support, and the ability to boot natively to a vhd.
    Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot
    While power users are advised to pick up ultimate for the vhd booting alone, if all you want is to game, home will be fine.

7. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One thing not mentioned is Win7 Pro and above are needed for more the 16GB. There is no game out there right now clamoring for mare than the 16GB limit but thought I would mention it.

8. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Try modding games that store their scenario editing files in their install folder when UAC is on and they are installed to C:\Program Files (x86). Virtual Store will quickly drive you bonkers, if your modding works at all. A common symptom is everything looks okay in the game's editor, but your changes don't actually show up when you load your mod in-game.

That said, if you do install the game to a custom location outside of C:\Program Files, that also avoids the issue. But most people tend to go with the default install location, at least if their C:\ drive is spacious enough to do so. My advice to people running into issues with modding older games (or having their save files mysteriously disappear, which I've also seen) is to install to a non-Program Files location if they want to have UAC enabled.

We could argue whether UAC is worth it, too, but that probably wouldn't be a productive argument. I run non-UAC-enabled OS'es at home, and have UAC disabled on Windows 7 at work, and haven't had any issues as a result of it, and haven't had any issues with not having it versus the many annoyances and issues I had with it. So I agree with Apple on UAC. I can see the theoretical benefit for someone who tends to get a lot of malware on their PC, but for a modder and developer who practices safe Internet browsing, I just don't think it's worth it.

This is a good point for a couple years down the line, but indeed it's not currently relevant for gaming. Windows 8 (non-Pro) allows 128 GB, so in a few years that may be an advantage assuming you don't want to pay extra for Pro. But it's also one of those things where you'll probably have upgraded your hardware by the time you need it. And if not, there's always Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    steberg likes this.
  9. billy_b0b

billy_b0b Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    win 7 pro or ultimate.... 64-bit

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Why? There no practical benefit of professional or ultimate over the home version of Windows 7...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.