The best non-16:9 laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by EternalTireKicker, Aug 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Removal of the second 2.5" bay and the optical bay. I have three 2.5" drives plus an mSATA in my 6500.

2. ygohome

ygohome Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see what you mean. 7710 traded out basically two of the M6x00's three 2.5" bays for the two m.2 NVMe SSD slots in it's place. That does greatly limit capacity unless spending $$$$ for T2B M.2 NVMe SSDs instead of much much less expensive high density SATA drives.

3. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It also got rid of the optical bay. So there are now three total storage bays rather than four.

2TB SSD's are simply absurd for what I want, namely image/video processing. That work involves some amount of streaming I/O, but little or no random I/O and in any event it's processor-intensive (which is the main reason I'm investigating an upgrade in the first place; my M6500 otherwise performs admirably). But it is very storage-intensive.

ygohome likes this.
  4. EternalTireKicker

EternalTireKicker Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Took delivery of the 8740W today. So far, I really like it. Very sharp display with good color and black levels, and even in its basic configuration (560M/4GB/120GB SSD/M7820) it performs quite well with Windows 7. Feels very solidly built, and the keyboard, while not quite up to par with an older ThinkPad, is certainly much better than consumer-grade laptops.

5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  6. slam5

slam5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can use it as a bulletproof vest too if you like. A bit too heavy. Remind me of a 8 pound bowling ball.

Kent T likes this.
  7. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And it's heavy because it is a full rugged. Use a laptop outdoors, use one under extreme conditions, or have motor control issues (i.e. spastic me), or other severe use cases, you can also justify a ToughBook. I own a CF-30 full rugged myself, and also own a Business Tough CF-C1 (my ultralight road machine). They're great for gimpy people, law enforcement personnel, broadcast engineers, ambulance drivers, firemen, oil field workers, the military, automotive mechanics, and others who need dependable and TOUGH! I'm a ToughBook user and darned proud of it! They stand up to gimpy me just fine!

8. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    @EternalTireKicker - Congrats on the purchase! The performance is not mind-blowing, but not that slow either. As @t456 suggested and already done by @Lwerewolf just in a different machine, you can always put the desired display in a newer machine :D Here's @Lwerewolf 's post about fitting 8740w's DC into 8770w. Too bad that the picture is down, but I can ask him to reupload it. Some clarification - no cabling modification was required, it was straight plug'n'play (unlike @t456 's suggestion, where heavy wiring mods would be required). The casing on the other hand... :D

9. Lwerewolf

Lwerewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ...assuming that he can find a 16:10 dreamcolor panel ;(

triturbo likes this.
  10. radpilot

radpilot Newbie

Reputations:
    My HP 2760P has a 16:10 screen. It rocks since 2013 !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.