The best free security software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Baserk, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IdontexistM8

IdontexistM8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually i've been checking this out and what he says is true. Ad-aware doesn't catch anything but a-squared does. I deleted ad-aware from my system and i've kept a-squared. You should also add a registry section. I have 2 programs for that section that are the best free ones.

3. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think registry cleaners and what not should go into a different thread. The three things mentioned are the ones which are probably most requested and it would be useful to keep it to just that. If registry cleaners are added, then why not add program x and y and so on? It would keep going until this is basically another Best Free Software for Windows thread.

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I guess your right. It may not be such a good idea after all. =\

5. IdontexistM8

IdontexistM8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad you've seen the light ;)

As I say watch a-squared for false positives but the good thing is if you spot any then just email them (best with the flagged file(s) attached) and it will be fixed asap..presuming they agree with your opinion! :D

Just to add about Spyware Terminator, I don't doubt it's a decent app with real time protection for free. However it's a real memory hog, I couldn't be doing with it.

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Will do. :D

7. nu_D

nu_D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have never liked Ad-Aware from day 1. I always had it installed but never used it. Thought it to be useless to be honest.

Anyway.

I downloaded Software Doctor from the google pack, but I am running into a problem. I don't want it to continuously scan my system so I turned off the active guard. But when I go to close the software it says that I need to restart my pc to completely close it. I searched through the processes, couldn't find any for SD. Anyone know what this message is about? I like the software but if it's always going to be running even if I close it, then screw it.

I am an avid supporter of A-Squared and Search and Destroy, although I use S/D more as a backup to make sure nothing was missed. I would like to also throw in SD. If this message is just bogus then I will continue to use it.

Thanks guys.

8. Undacovabrotha10

Undacovabrotha10 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see that windows defender made the list, how does it stack up against the rest? I haven't heard great things about it, is it really better than Ad-aware 2007 and Spybot S&D?

9. Sparkland

Sparkland Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI - Recently Kaspersky Internet Security can be purchased on Amazon and Comp USA with rebates that bring the price down to free for the first year for three computers.

10. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried Comodo BOClean?

I'm looking to replace AdAware since it normally only catches tracking cookies which I can delete with CCleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.