The best free security software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Baserk, Nov 22, 2007.

1. AshK

AshK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn... My Kaspersky suite expires in 2.5 weeks and I'd been considering Bitdefender as an alternative. For what it's worth your pain saved me the cost ($65AU) of discovering it firsthand and then having to get something different. Back to the drawing board for me I guess.

Seriously big thanks for the help. :)

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Run the trial of NOD32 you won't be disappointed. It doesn't leave any traces behind when uninstalled as well it is a very well engineered product so if you don't like it you can easily uninstall it.

NOD32 is the only AV that gives me 0 FPs, doesn't conflict with any of my programs, doesn't have any bloatware not even a toolbar to install for the browser yet its HTTP/HTTPS scanner will prevent you from going to any bad URL by mistake and it has the best PUP protection.

Example, try installing Shark 007 codec pack which is a good codec pack but filled with bad PUPs, NOD32 will block them so you won't even see a trace of them and can only install the Shark 007 Codec clean since NOD32 warned you.

Also, if you are like me and like to reinstall your OS a lot, 3 reinstallations of Kaspersky and your license is blacklisted then good luck with their crappy customer service to get it activated again.

iunlock likes this.
  3. AshK

AshK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll happily give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Phoenix likes this.
  4. Uruzu5

Uruzu5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought a Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
    However it crashed with Comodo Free Firewall, if I want to keep the Bitdefender, what is the best alternative free firewall??
    I 'm using windows 10 pro 64 bit version now

5. NetBookJunkie

NetBookJunkie Notebook Geek

Reputations:

So I've been using Avira for a long while and I understand what you are saying about the launcher.
    Has anyone uninstalled the launcher?

6. LoveGamers

LoveGamers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's the go to Antivirus these days? I've recently switched back to PC from Windows and I want to protect my pc as best as possible w/o affecting performance too much.

7. Primes

Primes Chrome OS Wizard

Reputations:
  8. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    I use my gaming laptop just for gaming and non important stuff so I don't even use a virus app as they've always seem to do more harm than good in terms of bloat and bogging down the system.

The only virus program I've used for giggles was NOD32 so I do back up @Phoenix with that for sure. It's a very polished app, but I still don't use it due to this system not being my primary.

It is nice to have Malwarebytes on deck to run some scans periodically. Other than that, just be careful what you download and sites that you visit if you want to keep things clean.

The issue with most of these virus apps is that they are literally like cancer in going deep into the registry. This is where NOD32 has a huge advantage over the rest. BitDefender comes in at a close 2nd, but it does fall into the category of software cancer and that too runs very deep into the registry and basically....even if you uninstall it, you'll still be left with traces of its dna....just not my cup of tea.

The better approach would be to lock down your system first so that you're off with a better start than leaving your system as it is loaded with junk and trying to protect it.

OOSU10 and SDAntiBeacon are great to start. Then go clean up your registry by getting rid of Cortana and all M$ garbage. Next install Malwarebytes and NOD32 if you want...from there just be careful with what you download, the sites you visit and extract onto your computer...

huntnyc and Phoenix like this.
  9. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When I had Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 with MSE and gaming - I saw no loss in gaming fps or load time or bloatware interfering with all my customer software installs.

10. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why is there no "best security software" sticky? Many people don't mind paying a small amount for good security so it'd be helpful to have another sticky that isn't leaving out a large part of the market.