The best free security software

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Baserk, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used Qihoo because it was compatible with the Window 10 preview I run on my Sony laptop. On my Acer laptop I run Windows 8.1 with Emsisoft Anti-Malware (paid). Not tested on AV Test, but tested on AV Comparatives. I maintain a lot of computers for family members and they are using Kaspersky (paid), Qihoo (free), Bitdefender (free), Panda (free) or Avira (free). Most problems I see are with pups or malvertising. So if you keep your computer up to date, use an ad-blocker an be careful when installing and updating programs just use the (free) av that works best for you on your computer. Other tings to consider are backup, anti exploit: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/ and unchecky: http://unchecky.com/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Worzyl

Worzyl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I'm looking to install some protection on my fresh laptop running windows and after looking through this thread, I am looking at installing these:

HTTPS Everywhere
    Do not Track me
    Free Malwarebytes
    Sandboxie
    Avira
    adwcleaner

Is this ridiculous overkill? Should I cut some of these out or replace them with something else? Is there some protection I maybe missing?

I would be grateful for any help.

3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No
    No, some sites need this to properly work especially if your going to sites will block your access.
    Won't hurt to have it installed
    No
    Either free or no A/V-MSE works fine for me and others that I installed on their ystem and if you have Windows already it's free for you and the updates are free without ads telling you to buy a the Premium version of Avira.
    Your better off using a PC hosts edit file to block ads/popups
    No overkill but if you overload your system you will cause slower system performance and that will in-turn allow a Virus/malware to get past your protection. But as anything at the end of the Day you will decide it yourself.

4. NetBookJunkie

NetBookJunkie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just replaced Panda with Avira. Free Panda had too many pop ups. We'll see how Avira does.
    Do I need Avira on an Iphone?

5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you don't need any antivirus on any phone. Just make sure you don't download shady apps. An AV on a phone will only cripple its performance and decrease battery life.

As for Avira, I don't know about you but I can't stand that annoying new Launcher it has. It's even there in the paid version so I never use my 3 year license that I have for Avira AV Pro valid for 5 PCs. Collecting dust..

6. NetBookJunkie

NetBookJunkie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Excellent. Thanks.

7. Smith2015

Smith2015 Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a huge difference between free and paid antivirus software (except price)? I`ve bought a new laptop, I intend to use it on work but it has no antivirus program. I`m thinking to use paid antivirus like Kaspersky. It has high rates according to this advice site http://bestadvisor.com/main-review/best_antivirus_software. Should I instal it and pay 40$ or it`s better stick to free software?

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I personally use NOD32 Antivirus after having had tried them all as it is the only AV which doesn't conflict with other apps on my system, doesn't give me a single false positive is one of the lightest security solutions as you can see in the link below of the AV-Comparative Performance tests, and offers superb protection.

Have a look at these lists before making a decision:

AV-Comparatives Real World Tests

AV-Comparatives Performance Test

AV-Comparatives False Positives

Some of the other Anti-Virus solutions I will never lose, in a quick summary:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware: Too many false positives for my liking but it's very light and would be the runner up after NOD32 Antivirus.

Avast! AntiVirus: One of the lightest and most effective AVs. I don't use it personally as it conflicts with Office 2013 and has horrible bugs if you have a brief look at their support forums, you will know what I mean.

Norton Security
    : Comes bundled with the Norton Identity Safe/Norton Toolbar for my browser. I don't like security solutions which offer additional bloatware without the possibility of doing a custom installation.

Bitdefender AntiVirus/Internet Security = This is not an Anti-Virus anymore, this is an all in-on crapware solution that has a system optimizer, browser cleaner, driver updater, everything you can imagine is there. No thank you. Give me the protection only.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus = Great AV, with a low performance impact, but it limits you, three re-installations and your license is blacklisted. I don't use software that limit me on how I use them or limit me on how many times I can format my computer so that's unfortunately not an option for me but if you don't format a lot, it's a good solution.

Webroot SecureAnywhere = The lightest AV on the plant spoiled by terrible false positives, ranging from file FPs to website FPs. Your system with be literally unusable with this junk installed on it.

F-Secure AntiVirus = Great AV! Highly recommend it, but the AV only not the Internet Security AKA F-Secure SAFE

Avira AntiVirus = Was a great AV until they ruined it by now offering a mandatory installation of the Avira Launcher, a very bloated and stupid launcher that again has a system optimizer, etc.

9. AshK

AshK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Matrix Leader Does Bitdefender really bundle all that garbage with their AV and IS now? I knew Total Security had all that bloat but I thought IS was pretty clean?

10. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Not only IS, even the darn Antivirus only which was the cleanest and leanest security solution from Bitdefender has all the bloatware in it, registry cleaner, speed booster, system optimizer, all sorts of garbage that will destroy your system.

Heck I tried the registry cleaner just for fun and guess what? it found like 500+ errors and a lot of Office 2013 registry errors on a freakin' clean install of Windows! No thank you, I am not letting no stupid reg cleaner mess up my brand new shiny system!

I emailed Bitdefender telling them that I will no longer buy their products because they are following what everyone else is doing by including bloatware rather than giving the user a simple AV when all they anted was an AV and didn't opt for the higher suites like Total Security, all they replied is we are sorry and thank you for your feedback! Heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.