The Arima W840 DI Thread

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Shane@DARK., Aug 19, 2008.

?

What do you think of this laptop?

1. OMG I want to make love to it and buy 50 of 'em!

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. It looks pretty sweet, if I can find the money under my couch I'd get it.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. I don't know...it looks okay, but I still don't have an opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kinda crappy. Not really my thing - I'll pass.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Go to hell for even considering selling this piece of junk.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane@DARK.

Shane@DARK. Company Representative

Reputations:
    As many of you know, and has been stated in various other forums, Arima (now owned by Flextronics) has released the specs of their new W840 DI. It is also known as the Digital Storm Gaming Dominator, OCZNBIM17A, and the CyberPower Gamer Xtreme M1. Its specs are:

Intel® Core™2 Duo T9600, P9500, T9400, P8600, P8400
    Mobile Intel® GM47, GM45, and PM45 Express Chipsets with ICH9M or ICH9M Enhanced
    Intel® Core™2 Extreme Mobile Processor
    Core™2 Extreme X9100
    ATI M88XT CrossFire™ DirectX 10.1 Compatible (option for single NVIDIA® 8800 GTX)
    Upgradeable MXM 2 Graphics Slots
    Up to 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3-1066
    17" WUXGA (1920x1200)
    High Definition integrated stereo sound
    Maxim® Amplifier
    Audigy® HD Software Edition Option
    2W/CH, Stereo, Two Channel, Subwoofer
    Full Sized Keyboard 2.5mm Stroke, Vista Key
    Intel® 802.11a/g/n wireless LAN (MIMO)
    Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR
    Built-in 2.0MP Digital Video Camera
    Fingerprint Reader

So what are your thoughts on this? Are you planning to buy it? Do you like the idea of Crossfire? How do you think it will hold up? - Arima was spiraling downward until it was bought over by Flextronics.

Also, if you have any questions, I'm currently in talks with OCZ about possibly offering the notebook to customers and I can pass the questions on to them.

2. henrybutt

henrybutt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I really like it but I have posted on www.techpond.co.uk (UK forum) where there are representatives from Rock, Novatech and Kobalt and Kobalt are the only ones who are even considering the chassis so I don't think it will be avaiable in the UK :(

I think this chassis has everything a 17" notebook should have... Dual Hard Drives, Dual GPUs, Extreme Processors in a reasonable sized chassis... It seems to me a much better option than the M570TU :)

EDIT:

BENCHMARKS PLEASE!!!

3. dit_xi

dit_xi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for starting this thread DarkSmiley. Arima only sold their notebook and server subdivision to Flextronics. I hope you'll price this one competitively as it is a perfect fit between the too bulky, no HDMI Clevo D901C and the single HD single GPU Clevo M570TU. Back lit keys too, hoorrah!

4. dit_xi

Reputations:
    I beg to differ with you that Flextronics/Arima doesn't have the greatest of reputation. Before Arima sold their notebooks & server business to Flextronics, Arima had supplied chassis to Alienware & Voodoo PC for years through exclusive contracts. I would argue that the Arima has some of the sleekest looking ones out there.

In addition to Digital Storm, RKC, and CyberPowerPC:

http://www.guruofgaming.com/modules...topic&t=2202&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Killernotebooks will also be offering this notebook. Mark is testing one with the Mobile Quad Core Q9100.

5. NGH

NGH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would like to see a full review for this notebook chassis. It looks like a solid alternative to Clevo/Sager. The ATI GPU is particularly attractive right now--Will the 4850 or 4870 be available on this?

6. Shane@DARK.

Reputations:
    Okay, sorry guys. First off some replies:

@henrybutt: sorry, no benchmarks yet. I'm still trying to get the total information, specs, and prices from OCZ. I have no idea if they have run benchmarks yet.

@dit_xi: Thanks for the correction about only the notebooks and servers being bought out by Flextronics. But the fact remains that they were spiraling downward, due to not being able to keep up with demand and providing poor support. I won't say that they're not sleek looking though :]

@NGH: It's a single 8800M GT, a single mobile 3870, or dual mobile 3870s.

@Everybody: I very much want to build on this notebook platform, so I;m currently in talks with OCZ about parts. My main concern is a year down the road, if anything goes wrong, I won't be able to fulfill my warranties. If I can get that settled, though, I'm hoping to build & sell it. My goal is to price the base system at under $2,000 :)

7. dit_xi

Reputations:
    Under $2000. Me likey!

8. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    under $2000! I buy one. (or two)

It says "(option for single NVIDIA® 8800 GTX)
    Upgradeable MXM 2 Graphics Slots" so I suppose a 9800M GT will have to fit, no idea about 9800M GTX. no SLI support I guess.
    Ask them about the graphic card upgrade. If they use MXM modules that respect the original specifications or if they use the usual proprietary format by arima (usually bigger a bigger module). Ask them if it will be possible to upgrade to 9800M GTX or a 9800M GT SLI or not.

9. Shane@DARK.

Reputations:
    @__-_-_-__: Yeah, there's no SLI support and no support for 9000 series GPUs (at least not yet). I'd get definite answers to your other questions, but I called OCZ and their product manager is out on vacation or something.

Funny that the product manager seems to be the single person in the entire company to know the specs of the laptops...

10. Opteron

Opteron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you please ask if their going to release an updated 15 in. chassis. Besides the one they have in DIY OCZ?

thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.