The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tinderbox (UK), Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Alucard is absolutely an anti-hero, certainly lacking idealism, courage, etc. (he is strong though, but villains are also sometimes strong). Beowulf was a typical hero, saving his people from monsters; Gilgamesh had a similar hero trope (protected his people with walls). Alucard does essentially whatever he wants (as long as Integra is "happy"), and he certainly has no issue killing innocents...
    ...and the only idealism he seems to hold is that only humans are allowed to kill monsters (like himself, given his "I WANT TO DIE" complex

2. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gilgamesh oppressed his people, trapping them within those same walls, taking the "lord's right" with the women and forcing the men to slave labor. And both Gilgamesh and Beowulf were brutal in their fighting because fighting is brutal. While the particulars are different I don't see Alucard lacking similar qualities. He might act like a coward at times but he is the one pushing to be at the front lines of battle to protect humans from the monsters. That's not cowardice. His loyalty to the Van Hellsing family is legendary. That's not a lack of idealism and integrity.

And yes, he does have issues with killing innocents. If he had none, for real, then he'd have left Seras to die and he wouldn't drink blood from bags. He says he doesn't care but his actions belie his assertions.

3. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Waiting for the next Boruto episode is suffering

4. Kaze No Tamashii

Kaze No Tamashii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    have you watched Ajin? The manga is very good but I'm not sure if the anime is good since I haven't watched it. Probably not totally anti-hero like the shows you mention but give it a try.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
  6. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Watching FMA and I just got past the part with Nina. I'm shook :^[