The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tinderbox (UK), Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Alucard is absolutely an anti-hero, certainly lacking idealism, courage, etc. (he is strong though, but villains are also sometimes strong). Beowulf was a typical hero, saving his people from monsters; Gilgamesh had a similar hero trope (protected his people with walls). Alucard does essentially whatever he wants (as long as Integra is "happy"), and he certainly has no issue killing innocents...
    ...and the only idealism he seems to hold is that only humans are allowed to kill monsters (like himself, given his "I WANT TO DIE" complex

2. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gilgamesh oppressed his people, trapping them within those same walls, taking the "lord's right" with the women and forcing the men to slave labor. And both Gilgamesh and Beowulf were brutal in their fighting because fighting is brutal. While the particulars are different I don't see Alucard lacking similar qualities. He might act like a coward at times but he is the one pushing to be at the front lines of battle to protect humans from the monsters. That's not cowardice. His loyalty to the Van Hellsing family is legendary. That's not a lack of idealism and integrity.

And yes, he does have issues with killing innocents. If he had none, for real, then he'd have left Seras to die and he wouldn't drink blood from bags. He says he doesn't care but his actions belie his assertions.

3. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Waiting for the next Boruto episode is suffering

4. Kaze No Tamashii

Kaze No Tamashii Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    have you watched Ajin? The manga is very good but I'm not sure if the anime is good since I haven't watched it. Probably not totally anti-hero like the shows you mention but give it a try.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
  6. ShotOfB12

ShotOfB12 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Watching FMA and I just got past the part with Nina. I'm shook :^[

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Amazon Officially Shuts Down (Double Pay wall) Anime Strike
    Published on Jan 5, 2018
    After launching Anime Strike less than a year ago, Amazon has shut down its anime-specific streaming channel. The company has also shut down Heera, its Bollywood-focused channel. "We have decided to move the curated catalogs of Anime Strike and Heera into Prime Video so that more customers can enjoy this content as part of their Prime membership," a spokesperson from Amazon told Forbes.

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    TIL Heera exists

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I was wondering where the Anime thread would be in these forums. Seems like dealing with a one year gap seems to create multiple central anime threads.

Whats everyone watching right now?

Ive been rewatching some of the slightly older and under appreciated anime of late.

Things like Gosick and Dantalian no Shoka come to mind. I've also gave in and checked out some of the Shonen types like My Hero Academia, tried to like Black Clover but I honestly cant stand the MC, yelling for the sake of yelling ALL THE TIME is annoying. Put it down after 1.5 episodes.

Tried watching Killing Bites, but I hate shows that repeat the same phrase and reuse the same assets to fill time, reminds me of uhh what was it....Rosario to Vampire.

Violet Evergarden looks good, saving it for the dark times when a season with garbage comes along.

Whats everyone else up to?

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Catching up on older series, I've either watched before in total, or part, and the library system has a wide range of DVD and BR titles available.

Trigun
    The Complete Series
    DVD - 2010

"Vash the Stampede is a wanted man with a habit of turning entire towns into rubble. The price on his head is a fortune, and his path of destruction reaches across the arid wastelands of a desert planet. Unfortunately, most encounters with the spiky-haired gunslinger don't end well for the bounty hunters who catch up with him, someone almost always gets hurt, and it's never Vash. Contains episodes 1-26."

And, the Netflix version of...
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80223731

After watching:

Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood.
    Complete collection one, episodes 1-33
    DVD - 2012 | Japanese

"After Edward and Alphonse Elric's reckless disregard for alchemy's fundamental laws, the brothers scour a war-torn land for the Philosopher's Stone, a fabled relic which grants the ability to perform alchemy in impossible ways."

Fullmetal Alchemist
    The Sacred Star of Milos the Motion Picture
    DVD - 2012

"A fugitive alchemist with mysterious abilities leads the Elric brothers to a distant valley of slums inhabited by the Milos, a proud people struggling against bureaucratic exploitation. Ed and Al quickly find themselves in the middle of a rising rebellion as the exiled Milos lash out against their oppressors."

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Trigun and YuYuHakusho were my gateway drugs when I was younger. I had both series for a time but at least I have them on my laptop now.

I never understood much of the mainstream series like FMA, One Piece, Naruto etc etc. I tried to like One Piece but after 400-500 episodes you finally realize that all those popular shows will basically continue on forever until it doesnt make money anymore. I like a bit more substance in what I watch these days lol

Not a knock for those that enjoy them though

hmscott likes this.
  12. hmscott

Reputations:
    You asked "Whats everyone watching right now?", so that's what I answered, I wasn't looking for a critique on my taste in Anime, and why it was vacuous in your opinion. As a tip, don't do that if you want people to respond to you and share what they are watching.

I have a long list I could have posted, but those I named were the most recent I checked out from the library and watched on Netflix.

Anime? Manga?, substance?, really? Not typically the right medium for that. :D

Anime are all like that to a large extent, they are in fact ways for artists to follow their interests while making an income to support themselves and their families.

Finding an audience, us, and then we share it with others, like you.

For me my gateway TV "Anime" "Manga" Cartoons were Gigantor, AstroBoy, Ultraman, much later Robotech, Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop, and so many others.

Astro Boy Episode 1: The Birth of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) - 1963

Gigantor Season 1 E01 Struggle At The South Pole - 1964

Ultraman, Episode 1, Original Series, 1966

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  13. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I am only seeking discussion, if you cant handle someone not liking the mainstream meanwhile not knocking on those that do, I am really not sure how you get along in daily conversation. I dont like many shonen but its not as if I dont like shonen, I figured I covered that when I mentioned shonen like Hero Academia and YuYuHakusho. tl;dr All I stated was it wasnt my cup of tea, im not screaming that your an infidel.

Anime can have plenty of substance, the issue is taking the courage to borrow themes that suit the narrative.

Re Zero is a great example of that, it borrows a bit (and of course, this is just opinion) from Pinocchio. The most basic example is the realization that you must conquer your fears to achieve your dreams. This is displayed classically when they battle with the whale in order to save the woman he loves, but not before submitting to despair. Rem saving him despite knowing he loves someone else and spending basically an entire episode for that is probably one of the main reasons shes cherished as a character.

Spice and Wolf is another good example, lots of intelligent banter

There are others too, but I would agree that theres definitely a template with a margin of error where most of the material comes from.

I might soon check out Assassination Classroom or I might finally give in and watch the second season of Attack on Titan, not a big fan but a couple of my buddies keep scorning me for putting it on the back burner lol

14. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Saw Gosick awhile ago, loved it.

Haven’t been watching a lot of stuff recently. Last thing I’ve watched is Citrus, also enjoyed that (though my friends are in a fit about it). Besides that, I saw Blend-S (it was okay).

TheReciever and hmscott like this.