The amazing disappearing rear center headrest

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Mitlov, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Anyone notice that many new cars and trucks are being sold without rear center headrests? When did this start and frankly, what the heck? In an era when more and more electronic safety aids are being added, as well as ever-increasing airbag counts, this seems like a big omission.

And there's no rhyme or reason to which have them and which don't. The Sonata and Passat do; but the new Camry and Accord don't. The F-150 does; but the Silverado does not.

Maybe it's because my eight year old likes the rear center seat (better forward visibility to stave off car sickness), but it seems to me that any seat that has a seat belt should have a head rest...at least in four door family cars. I nearly bought an Impala as my next car until I noticed this issue, which sadly is a deal breaker.

Anyone else ever noticed this? Anyone else care?

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I noticed my Crosstrek and my Outback's middle headrests are much smaller and flatter than the other 2 seats. Now my middle seat in my car is pathetically small and with a hump for the driveshaft, I guess it's only really suited for smaller kids anyway.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    My Civic Si sedan has a smaller headrest in the rear center to not obstruct vision when lowered, but you can still raise it when the seat is occupied to protect a center passenger's neck in an accident. Seems like a good compromise to me.

But the Impala, despite being a MUCH larger car with a MUCH roomier rear bench seat, has no neck protection whatsoever for the rear center passenger. I just don't get it.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    I think also is alot of middle seats isn't really being used. If they can not make the middle headrest on 300k cars over 10 years, that's alot of $$$ to put into something else in the car. The average family is 4-5 people? With alot of families beyond 5 buying 3rd row SUVs, no need to put in the middle headrest? The Impala is kinda weird as it being a full sized sedan, that could seat 3 adults, it is kinda strange there isn't a middle headrest.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If there's no room for three seats in back in a small car, i have no problem with just two seats; our old Honda Element was like that. And I know some luxury cars have two nice seats in back with a big console between them instead of a third seat. That's fine. What bothers me is when they have a middle seat with one out of two safety features (seatbelt but no head restraint) instead of going all or nothing.

The Impala baffles me because a non-luxury large sedan seems like the sort of car where comfortably seating three adults in the back row world be a real selling point. It's got the leg room, hip room, and head room to do it...but not the safety features?

6. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    You should tweet Chevrolet/GM's Twitter and see what's up lol.