The Alienware M15 has been officially announced/introduced

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by rinneh, Oct 4, 2018.

1. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This thing does not have an i9 and are sporting 1060/1070maxq according to that video... I don't think it'll ever get an i9 due to heat. Maybe 2060maxq if that ever exists later.

But judging by the 2080 desktop performances, the mobile performance increase won't be much at all.

2. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, absolutely agree, I forgot to mention that as the worst offender. The glossy plastic around the edge really kills it, though I like this trapezoidal shape of the laptop when it's closed down. Not sure if that means they'll use that eye-tracking thing again or it's just a tacky design fart.

Of course, I won't swap my 17 R4 with it anytime soon, but if I needed more mobility, I would definitely get the m15 and the external graphics AMP while at home.

The 17 R4/R5 is rather thin as 1080 17" laptops go, about the same thickness as the top Aorus X9 model. The top Asus (Chimera) is way thicker, but with no noise improvement to show for.

The only exception would be the 15" GX501 with the 1080 Max-Q which is rather thin (though the keyboard had to be moved to the bottom edge to allow it to cool the 1080), so perhaps you were referring to that model? If so, yeah, the 17" variant would be rather cool, but even the 15" model is quite expensive and rather niche, that it's probably not worth designing the 17" one as those sell way less presumably.

judal57 likes this.
  3. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

FYI its a 144Hz IPS

At the 31:30 mark they answer that question.

4. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    If true, that will greatly change my opinion of this laptop :). As is, I am at 2 years on my 15r3 which is a new record for me going back to 2008 lol

Everything I had seen in print, showed it as TN which is why I was concerned

5. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Just watched that whole AMA, some good info. I am very interested to see how the cooling/noise are. If they are acceptable, I may be upgrading around Black Friday again!

Also interested to see how accessible all components are from the bottom. Fingers crossed that the need for thinness did away with the stupid full coverage plastic shroud like the current 15 has.

6. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't get the choice to include a 10-key; that kills it for me (I can't deal with the keyboard being that far off-center) and I hope this isn't a sign that the regular 15 will get one at its next iteration.

7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I was actually happy to see the addition, was going to get a 17" next just to have one. They are useful for me for the games I play

CptXabaras likes this.