The 680m thread where no one talks about it's red competitor.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by SeriousCat, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I want longer battery life, I'll take that, but like jaug1337 says, with manual switching. I really don't care for this software switching crap. It's unnecessary and too complicated when a simple switch will do the trick. I know on the hardware level there's more than just the switch, but from a customer standpoint, we all can comprehend on/off versus why my fps at 10?

2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    There is NOTHING complicated about this, it has been stated several times by nVIDIA.

The only reason for their stupid software is because they want to "be the future" and it annoys the hell out of me, simply because IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY, just let the users control it themselves like Alienware does.

For the love of god, why is it that manufactures make it so hard for us consumers..

I'm on the edge of making a petition, since all of our petitions go so well recently :rolleyes:

3. amirfoox

amirfoox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a Sony Vaio Z where you can switch between the iGPU and the dGPU via a manual hardware switch button.

Please trust me when I say this - you don't want that. It is annoying. Forgetting to switch to the dGPU when loading a game will cause the game to take forever to load, connecting the laptop with the HDMI requires the dGPU as well and constantly moving from 'Stamina' (iGPU) mode to 'Speed' (dGPU) mode is a real pain.

You'd think that this is a merely minor annoyance and eventually one would remember to make the switch when necessary, but this is the worst.
    thing.
    ever.

Having a few numbers less in a synthetic benchmark or what have you is a small price to pay for something that does this stuff automatically.

But I agree with the others, there should be a way to disable this nonsense completely. This is a heavy gaming laptop, not a tablet, leave us alone.

Also:

Dude...
    Wheat Thins Family Guy - YouTube
    (sorry, that's the only version I found in youtube)

But really, why do you put so much emphasis on the H? You constantly do that and drives me nuts :D

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    They've had manual switchable graphics around for a while, it was never an inconvenience. Even the Sony Vaio S11 had manual switchable graphics.

My old Asus N10J had manual switchable graphics. It wasn't a big deal. Plugged in you just set it to max GPU. Unplugged you set it to max battery.

And Optimus/Enduro don't only affect synthetic benchmarks. It can affect overall performance. Even on my DV6z with AMD CPU/GPU where someone managed to hack the BIOS and offer a fixed GPU mode where it was more or less a manual switch, performance went up a solid 10%.

With Optimus sometimes I start a game and get crappy performance, and it's because it's set to the IGPU for some reason and not the dedicated, so same issue exists.

No go eat some Wheat Thins.... :p

5. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I can't imagine it being bad or annoying. Only yourself to blame if it you forget to switch

I'd be better off trusting myself to turn graphics on and off instead of a software

6. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I loved the switchable graphics for the Radeon 6990m on the M17x R3. Now, the M17x R4 only has crappy software switching, I absolutely HATE that. I like to be in control of my laptop, fully. Its like driving an automatic vs a manual car.

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well that's it. For power gaming laptops you want control. Nothing to hold you back. I am glad Sager offered switchable graphics, but I think when they heard customers requesting switchable graphics they instantly thought Optimus I'm sure. But having the MXM run through a mux would have been the ideal choice, so you could use optimus, or manual switch.

8. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Precisely, nothing more annoying that not having something under your own control, especially when buying gaming/high-end machines like this

9. amirfoox

amirfoox Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jaug, please try it before spouting that godawful 'only yourself to blame...'. It's clunky, it's annoying, and the worst of all - it interferes with drivers, as you need some very specifically customized drivers otherwise the switch doesn't work and you get stuck with either the iGPU or the dPGU (that is, if you're lucky and the driver works in the first place), so forget about updating drivers for...forever, really.

And WingNut, that's hardly the way it works, at least for me. I don't want to keep using my dGPU for browsing (which fires up the fans for no reason every once in a while) when I have an iGPU even when I'm all plugged in. If you're stuck with Enduro/Optimus giving you problems, then you should have an off switch, but that's it. Forcing yourself to switch between your GPUs on a regular basis doesn't work. You guys don't know what you're talking about. It's an inconvenience, not a good thing. It's like complaining your cars (I know, I know, I'm sick of car analogies as well, but it really fits) with all the new accessories require some maintenance and you miss the good old days where you had a quirky car that only opened the lights if you pushed the windshield wiper and...bah, you get the picture.

Annoyances or no, Optimus is the future. Deal with it and find ways to make it work instead of looking back at clunky manual stuff, especially when you don't have experience with that...'technology'.

Anyway, I'll go eat my Wheat Thins now :D

Edit: Oh, technos mentioned Manual vs Automatic transmission. Well, that's the thing - I always prefer Automatic, I want to just get there and be as little bothered by my ride as possible. That's probably the difference between our perspectives. Anyway, I agree that there should be a choice and everyone would be happy.

10. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    actually the R4 still have manual switching which will completely disable intel hd4000. Thats the first thing I did after finished installing drivers. The combination is Fn+F7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.