The 1080GTX Laptop Showdown.. Help me choose!

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 0Style, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0Style

0Style Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When it comes to MSI and their customer service.. That's not really an issue as any laptop I'll order will have at least 2 years of HID Global warranty.

I have heard of the Aorus 1440p panel and it's horizontal lines.. From what info I gathered the lines are only noticable on solid grey areas which is I guess fine although I heard the MSI panel should be superior overall. The small resolution gain is insignificant for me.

None of the reviews seem to address the issue of the lines on the Aorus so maybe it's not such a big deal?

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I wasn't really referring to the viewing angles, the one I saw at least was horribly cool. It needed calibration badly. Viewing angles were decent for a TN panel though, it was a pretty wide arc. It didn't seem to be anything special, but I've seen a lot of high end TN panels recently on desktop monitors I suppose.

What UHD displays are you talking about? I would say it's better than the one on the Asus UX501, but not like my Clevo's PLS panel. It came really nice even before calibration.

Most 4k panels are nicer than the junky 1080p panels that come with most laptops. I'm usually disappointed with 1080p displays.

Side note, the Razer Blade Stealth has such a pretty UHD panel. The dpi is nuts and the color accuracy was spot on. Way way better than the real Blade's.

3. montobrah

montobrah Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not just the lines - the overall lack of quality really stands out. The Chi Mei MSI panel has really good colors, brightness, deltaE, etc., comparable to the new Macbook's display, while the Aorus is more of a low-end TN panel in those aspects and doesn't have as good a response time either. This is in German but the display measurements show a big difference in quality. The Chi Mei panel should also look sharper despite lower res due to higher contrast.
    http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Aorus-X7-v6-Laptop.181773.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GS73VR-6RF-Notebook-Review.172138.0.html

4. Galm

Reputations:
    This is all true, contrasting what I just said, MSI had some of my favorite 1080p panels on their GT series.

However, not sure how much that matters for gaming enjoyment. It'd have to be pretty awful imo for 1440p 120 to be worse than 1080p 120, 1440p looks seriously crisper.

5. montobrah

Reputations:
    Check the numbers. It actually is "pretty awful." 40% less contrast and a pale black level will make text look less sharp most of the time. And in games especially, 1440p is going to make almost no difference on a 17.3" screen. You'd need a 23+" monitor to appreciate that extra immersion. (IMO.) Games do look better on a higher quality screen.

So yeah. MSI gets my vote for 120hz options, but be prepared to have to order a replacement if you have issues like I had.

4K is on average better, but people give 1080p a bad name because there is a dearth of good 1080p panels out there and the Chi Mei is one of the best. Maybe it was set to the default and overly blue "gamer" mode in-store. sRGB or standard modes are a lot richer. For some reason, this display looks sharper than even the high quality 1080p displays on my XPS 13 or Spectre 13.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  6. Galm

Reputations:
    I don't agree with the resolution point at all. I can easily tell apart 1080p and 1440p on a 13" screen, it's even clearer on a 17.3" display. I know numbers... Seeing them in person would be more important to me. I've seen panels with good and bad numbers that can defy expectations. The 120Hz MSI panel didn't impress me that much, but if the 1440p one looked atrocious perhaps I could be swayed.

A retina calculator agrees with the numbers I just gave, a 1080p screen only looks retina around 27" away.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  7. 0Style

Reputations:
    Acually after quick google translate they seem to be praising the display as one of the good features of the laptop.. Yes they say that MSI is better and all but that doesn't matter to me too much. A good screen is nice to have but they don't say this one is terrible by any means.. which basically says it's satisfactory (on the Aorus)

MSI has some of the best speakers on the market though and that does matter for movies and games and overall package.

Let's just agree because there is really no competition here the MSI has the superior screen. I am talking more overall product rather than just screen.

I guess it comes down to preference.. Slim package or better display/sound and heat/noise control

8. Galm

Reputations:
    Pretty much. The Aorus 1440p display reviews I've seen haven't been awful, so I might risk it in your shoes. Cooling has been consistently within acceptable ranges from the units I've seen. Noise, display, and sound are the main MSI pros. I believe the GT73 finally has a SABRE DAC inside. (Wtf was MSI thinking there it used to be in the GT60 even now the GT62 and GT72 don't have it smh) The P650RS is like the only 15" with it now.

9. 0Style

Reputations:
    I think I'll just grit them teeth and try the Aorus.. Although I can't shake the feeling that the MSI is the safer bet if I don't travel too much.

10. montobrah

Reputations:
    It's GTX 1070, but have you considered the EVGA SC17?

On the display again, those contrast ratings are just so bad. Next to IPS it just doesn't look good to me. $0.02.
    1:28:00 and 1:18:30 and 59:45

0Style likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.