The 10 Worst PCs of All Time: NO # PACKARD BELL

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by gospodin, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inkjammer

Inkjammer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My first PC was a Packard Bell. A 486 25Mhz SX with 2MB of RAM and a 40MB HD.

. . .

My god did it suck. It came with no installation CDs/floppies, manuals or anything. My copies of Windows 3.1 (holy s***, I'm old!) was corrupted by default, so I reformatted it to re-install everything, and... oops! No install media. And yes, I did check the HD before formatting, there was nothing on it OS re-installation.

And this was a BRAND NEW MACHINE.

2. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    PB's exit from US is true.

They're not bust yet but may jolly well be under new owner / management as PB's owner said "... Lenovo and I have indeed signed a MOU granting them exclusivity to purchase Packard Bell once all regulatories and contract obligations are fulfilled," said John Hui.

"The (intended) acquisition signifies Lenovo's determination, commitment, and long-term planning in entering the PC consumer market after it has successful completed its merger with IBM PC," Hui said. "Packard Bell will provide Lenovo a spearhead into Europe and a jump start into the PC consumer market."

For the full story. please click :
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/07/Lenovo-and-Acer-vie-for-Packard-Bell_1.html

rgds,
    Benjamin Chin
    12 Oct 07

3. theorist

theorist Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my goodness. i've owned 4 of the top 10. wtf.

4. Inkjammer

Inkjammer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They should have included AST on that list. *shudder*

5. theorist

theorist Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ahahhahaa. AST. i remember them.

6. Sypher

Sypher Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    HAHAHA I've owned (and still have) a Packard Bell... Twas my first computer ever.. I was young (I think I was in grade 5) when we got it.... $2500 CDN for 100mhz, 1 gb hd, 8mb EDO ram, 14.4k modem.... the list goes on LOL... over priced, slow, but amazing the thing still runs to this day :eek: LOL

7. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    Bad timing is right about. ... #9. New Internet Computer (2000)

They probably could have pulled that off today or in the last 6 years, being that everyone is using high speed and is always online now.

As for the rest of the PCs, They should also win the Ugliest PC title.

8. skywalker

skywalker Business Notebook FTW!!

Reputations:
    Is Packard Bell is NEC rebadged?

9. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    At least for notebooks. Even though I don't think either one is the actual ODM.

Furthermore, as far as I am concerned, the notion of a company having bad hardware or service is relevant for about a year or so. Things change so fast in this industry that anything else is just bogus.

10. T-B0N3

T-B0N3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've head the worst experience with a Packard Bell laptop a couple of years ago. Brand new bought from the shop, things were ok for a few weeks when ... the heating problem came. That laptop got so hot you could barely keep your hand on it. I took it to repairs (within the warranty period) twice - changed processor, changed heat-sink, and changed the dvd-rom drive in the second run... nothing got better. The laptop was just flawed in its design. Writing to them did nothing... no response. To preserve looks they underestimated the heat coming from the Amd Athlon processor and everything became a fiasco. Since then I've lost my faith in everything signed Packard Bell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.