The 10 Worst PCs of All Time: NO # PACKARD BELL

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by gospodin, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gospodin

gospodin Newbie

Reputations:
  2. Mr.Brightside

Mr.Brightside Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i didnt even know that manufacturer :p

3. sschrapel

sschrapel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    very popular throughout the late 1990s here in australia. i agree 100% with everything PC world says in that article; their machines were pretty terrible.

4. admlam

admlam Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Good thing you don't. They were pretty bad, and that makes you pretty young.

5. MYK

MYK Newbie NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Well they're back :)

6. sasanac

sasanac Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm puzzled by their idea of what a PC is! Coleco Adam? Vic20? I know it's semantics and I know I'm a bit of a pedant at times. but.. surely these are/were classed as Home Computers? PCs were way too expensive for the home market. That's why we ended up with Vic20s, Sinclair Spectrums, ZX81s, Amstrads, Acorn Electrons, Dragon 32/64s etc etc etc.. (ahem sorry .. :rolleyes: )

anyway :D .. can't argue with Packard Bell being number 1 though.. a friend of mine bought one and it was a nightmare to work with, very underpowered for the price and virtually impossible to upgrade too.

7. JediMunchies

JediMunchies Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ironically my family's first computer was a Packard Bell Legend 486DX2. I played my first PC games during my High School years on that thing. (X-Wing, Dark Forces, Doom) That sucker worked beautifully for 5 years. Before we chucked it for a newer model, we plugged it back in just to see if it even worked... Windows 95 booted back up w/o a hitch. I guess we were the exception to the rule. We were so impressed with our 1st Packard Bell's quality and performance, my parents purchased a 2nd one for their own business.

So it is kind of a shock to me to just now read PC World's summary about Packard Bell's shady business tactics and poor customer service. All the while I was happy as a clam blowing up TIE Fighters and typing high school reports. :)

8. Lil Mayz

Lil Mayz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes that Packard Bell is also the most stupid looking PC of all time :p They are a company that really do lack creativity.

9. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never know that many people are so ballistic about PB and yet some major Taiwanese computer companies still want to acquire the PB company and brand with the hope of consolidating a stronger hold in the European markets.

Seems like a up-hill struggle for whichever Taiwanese company that ultimately owns PB to try to re-gain consumer confidence about the PB brand-name.

Alot needs to be done for PB.

What was the past is the past. Hope that all of you guys out there will give the new PB, under new management, a fresh opportunity.

It's only fair that way.

I am an avid supporter of ThinkPad and will not hesitate to recommend ThinkPad to serious users; yet I will still tolerate a lesser brand like MSI.
    My posting on the MSI:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=177517

Let's look forward and not live in the past.

rgds,
    Benjamin Chin
    11 Oct 07

10. jojoinnit

jojoinnit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Packard Bell only exited the US. They didnt go out of business.
    They're still sold in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.