Testing GPS

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by jviss, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
  2. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I respect what the guy did but the red cover wouldn't be a selling feature for me. actually i miss the dark, bland, blend-in-with-the-woodwork appearance of the 27s. Where I use mine, the less attention attracted the better. That red just cries "take me home with you"!

I wonder where his "stealth" antenna is. Seems to me that we've concluded that the stealthier you get with an antenna, the worse the signal strength is.

3. andyasselin

andyasselin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    one you use hyper terminal on gps don,nt have set port then hit call before it will do show you gps nema or is wait for call

4. raVenX

raVenX Newbie

Reputations:
    Agreed. Rather ugly in my opinion. I mean c'mon, if you're going to paint it at least give it a kewl color and some flames or something. Some movie I was watching the other night had 28's with black covers. That didn't look so great either.

-----

Is it just me or did anyone notice the corner antenna housing where he has the GPS antenna located? All of the Toughbook's that I have ever owned have had the antenna housing on the left side (the little round bump in the black plastic corner piece). I have never seen one on the right side like that. Did he make that? or did Panasonic have the radio antennas on the right side on some older models. I'd like to get one and route a wireless antenna connector in that spot.

5. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm glad you mentioned that, i would not have realized what I was looking at! I wonder why he did that, maybe the wifi is using the radio modem antenna hole? (his "stealth" antenna)

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I messaged the guy asking a few more questions. I hope he'll clear up a few things for me.

On a side note; Gravitar, I hope you're stocking up on your beer and smokes...

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    For one... He won't answer your questions... I've tried. Secondly... I have seen his work in person. He used glue and tape to hold his laptop together and it was literally falling apart when I saw it... And the guy had only had it for a few weeks. The guy turned around and sold it. Very poor work. I mean... If you are going to do it... Do it right! Yes... He molds the plastic bump-out on there somehow. The one I saw looked like he made some sort of clay mold and then poured something into it. Like I said... Poor work. But I guess no worse than some of the Toughbooks I've seen after they are beat up a little. According to the model number the laptop already had GPS... It looks like he just stuck an active antenna on it... But he says Rockwell...

They say that they switched from black on the CF-27 to reflective silver on the CF-28 was so it wouldn't heat up as bad in the sun. I am finishing my next one for ebay... It took me 2 days to strip and polish the top cover. I don't know what type of paint they use at Panasonic... But it sticks like a brother on the magnesium! It took 3 applications of stripping, scraping and stripping again to get the paint off. Then it took a day and a half of sanding and polishing the cover to get it to a mirror finish. I guess if silver is good... A mirror finish should be better right?

I should have it up tomorrow.

8. raVenX

raVenX Newbie

Reputations:
    Isn't the silver color of the cover on the 28's the natural magnesium itself and not paint?

That's looks very stylish. Kudos. I especially like the accented jeweling.

Ya know what really brings in the eBay bids though (other than having a quality Toughbook of course) is just mention "wardriving" and every teenager out there wants to hand over their life savings and college tuition.

9. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:

I've been saying for a week now that they'd wait till the last minute and then raise taxes to "save the day". I figure the Republicans just wanted to be able to say that they fought till the end, but had to prevent the "disaster" of a government shutdown. I'm not convinced that the Republicans care any more about letting us keep our wages than the Dems, but they have to put on pretenses of caring about it!

The only people that would have suffered if the government shut down would be government employees. They know better than to let us figure out that we CAN live without them.. It wouldn't take too long before we wouldn't want them ever coming back to their jobs!

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:

It's actually a metallic silver epoxy paint. You would think by the scratches on some of the laptops that it would be a soft paint. It is tough stuff... Let me tell you!

Thanks... The camera picked up all the fine swirl marks though. It's one of those things that needs to be seen in person.

You're right about the wardriving... You crack me up...